Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 200 white lumens for 1amp!! NEW K2's

Arm on Fire... BEAUTIFUL, beautiful!

Exactly--without any parts that need to be "fused" together (via screws or pressure or whatever)... plus those fins... you got some great stuff!

The only worry would be for those who would turn on the saber... and NOT swing it too much, hahahah! You know... just gawk and stare, saying: "OMG!!! IT'S SOOOOO BRIGHT!!"
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Arm on Fire, that's exactly what I had in mind. Get out of my head!

The only difference is that I pictured male threads on the back end.

Nicely done!

Edit to add:

What if the center of the slug was hollowed out from the end opposite the LED? This would make it a little lighter, and the heat would tend to "follow" the metal to the outside of the saber.
    Last edited by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie; 03-04-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks guys , as soon as i read Gnomies and nova's posts it hit me like a jedi mind trick and i had to get it down on the CAD.
    after i posted , I too was thinking that it needed male threads on one side.

I think it would be just as strong as the neck down piece in the store, the bottom of the groove is still 1" and the extra weight of it being solid would hardly be noticable.

the only problem i can see is twisting wires at assembly, you would have to use a quick connect further down the hilt.

I just hope the led's that we are takin about become more availible soon so we can try it out.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Nice design. I agree it should be male threaded on the other end though. I am not sure with the current star configuration that a heatsink like this is required but when we start to use more exotic setups some of these would work nicely.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Oh yeah, totally not needed for the current LED's. They only use like 3 to 8 watts. But if LED's ever get up to like 30 watts being used then yeah... you will need something like this.
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    Edit to add:

What if the center of the slug was hollowed out from the end opposite the LED? This would make it a little lighter, and the heat would tend to "follow" the metal to the outside of the saber.
    I think this would ultimately work even slightly better, with the hole in the backside the air pocket would not transfer the heat as well as the solid metal therefore the heat would be forced to the fins on the outside like Obi said.
    Very cool though!
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

I think that looks like a great idea. The weight could easily be reduced by making the center thinner, much like the MHS thin-neck choke point, and then you could have nice long "fins". Besides looking cooler, it would give even better cooling too!