Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Length

Withmy old hilt at about 13" and a small change a 35.5" thinwalled blade was pritty well ballanced. with roughtly the same hilt my thickwalled blade had to be 33" tip to tip. And that annoyed me so Iam gonna stick to thinwalled blades.

If there was a blade thickness that was inbetween thick and thin walled blades I would use them. But avas I cant find any blade thats like this.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

It has to be more about personal choice than balance unless you're so extremely limp wristed that you can't actually use your hands to both position/move the hilt and blade where you need it to go.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

I'd go for balance and durability over aesthetic and getting all three would be a big bonus. My MRs are having to have different lengths according to how I'd like to use them, close quarter, reach etc. The Maul for example has had to have the blades shortened so I don't have to keep compensating speed/reaction to avoid hitting the ground. If I was to use the hilts as a single I know I could just use a longer blade but then what's the point to the saber and that's money I could use on some other part?
    Yeah, its not the size that counts. It's what you do with it!

The inuendo in that one Sar-oi

Full of Win & Awesome. Current ranking, 10 internetz.
    Sponsoring internetz increases levels of Win & Awesome.
    Barmic youve got me started on something now

I used to think that, too. But really, it's not the length of your saber blade that makes you a deadly swordsman.... It's the OD. HA HA HA
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Er... Yeah... Right.

Well for me, anywhere between 32-36" is good.
    Still working out the lenth i'll need for my dual. gonna be around 22-24" I reckon.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I'm a big guy with fencing (saber-class, not epee or foil - different style), stage fighting, and a very little bit of longsword training. I've also got strong, thick wrists and forearms, so weight isn't as much of a consideration, except for the bruises I could leave on my sparring partners if I goof. I avoid "gorilla grandstanding", mainly out of respect for my surroundings.

That said, my own preferences are as follows for fighting-blades, depending on style:

Two of my cubits blade length (About 40") with balance inside one-half span of the crosspiece (My span is 10", so less than 5") is a regular hand and a half sword (Lightsaber seems to fit this category) for me. So I'm already running a couple inches short with a full-length battle blade. This is for switching up between one and two handed use, though I can fence with it - weakly and slowly.

Fencing saber, Just leave your hand at your side and measure from the tip of your middle finger to your earlobe.

Dual-wielding, I stick to daggers. Blade length one cubit each, so 20". Emphasis there is on being everywhere at once and deflecting everything your opponent throws at you. It's nice being a deceptively fast fat man.

As to blade strength and illumination evenness, Eandori has the right of it
    Last edited by SpectreT65; 04-02-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: clarification of one minor point.
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

Alot of the siths favy form form 2 was durived partly from fencing.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

What did the Jedi do?
    they had no weight in the blades... so their sabers were MASSIVLY unbalanced...
    argh...