Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Length

woops I ment 36" not 26"
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

I actually like the shorter blade and chose a 30" on my 16" hilt. The center of balance feels good to me. I actually used a 1" wooden dowel to determine the length I liked from a visual perspective. I've not worked with a longer blade length but this 30" one is very bright using a celophane inner core.

30" blade on a 16" hilt will be funny looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    30" blade on a 16" hilt will be funny looking.
    I dont think it would look any funnier than a wakshasi (sp?) But I think I would do a 1 1/4'' instead of 1 1/2. for the hilt OD. It would look better.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

I used to have a wakasahi and it dident have a 16" long hilt.

Becides they were used in close quarters like a small hallway

My point is that the wakasashi has a hilt that is nearly as long as its katana counterpart. And it doesn't look funny.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

They do look funny, thats why I got rid of mine.

*clears throat* It's Wakizashi.

They were also used to commit seppuku, but this was commonly assigned to the tanto. Just a little wiki nerdness for ya.
    Last edited by 37H4N; 01-24-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

I was long ago told that the proper length of a sword was such that if you placed the point on the ground the pommel would be at your waist.

I suppose you could put the pommel on the ground but then you couldn't rest your hands all dramatically...

In any case I think I actually prefer the length a few inches shy of that.

figure the length accordingly to the length of the hilt and your height. The easiest way would be to measure from the floor to mid-chest height while standing, subtract the length of the hilt. Then you will want to add back in two extra inches for the part of the blade that is inserted into the holder. That is but one way to get a good blade length for you.