Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Length

Default Blade Length

What is the, if any, recommended blade length for an LED saber? Is one length too long? Does it depend heavily on the emitter?

Well a 36" blade seems to be the most popular. A thickwalled blade will have more bladeweight to it. if you add say some weight in the pommel of the hilt it will balance out ok, a thinwalled blade will weigh less and most basic sabers you wont notice the blades weight much.

All bladeholders sold here have a 2" depth to them but in the end it all comes down to preference. I myself like a 35-36" thinwalled blade.
    Last edited by Hasid Lafre; 01-24-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Thanks. I'm building a dueling saber so I'll be using the thickwalled blade (most likely the Corbin Blade). I was thinking 36" myself. Has anyone built a saber like this?

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Light View Post
    Thanks. I'm building a dueling saber so I'll be using the thickwalled blade (most likely the Corbin Blade). I was thinking 36" myself. Has anyone built a saber like this?
    That't what most of the MHS sabers are for is dueling. Depending on the length of the hilt and how blade heavy you want it depends on how long of a blade you want. If your ordering from here, I suggest getting the 40" blade and trimming to suit your needs.

BLUE 3- Ready

"Movie accurate" is...I think 35 1/2in coming out of the emmitter. Depending on how tall you are, and reach, you could get shorter or longer. I'm 6' and mine is 36 1/2.

the MR ones are about 36 inches and they feel about right, I'm going with the 40 inch corbin blade sold here which sill come to 38 inches out of the hilt, so to speak.

I don't know how people stand to use shorter ones, even my SW616 feels wrong and thats something like 30, maybe for the kids or as a shoto.

My Proto2 was about a 30" blade and I can guarentee that it had many positive results for a luxeon based saber.

- With a thin walled blade it was extremly sturdy. Shorter blade = less flexing = no flying tips in a hard duel.
    - Same light in less area = brighter blade.
    - More evenly lit in the middle.
    - perfectly balanced saber on the top hand hold. + overall very lightweight (lighter then Luke RoTJ MR)

During a duel, the lightweight blade and perfect balance MORE THEN made up for the shorter length. I was far more "deadly" with the lighter better balanced blade.
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

honestly the longer blade doesn't bother me at all, though thats probably because I've had a little training with actuall longswords which have a steel blade and are about 4-5 time's the wait of an MR. I need to find a dueling group around here, shouldn't be hard I live right near lucas's home town.

I agree with Eandori. I use to have 30'' blades. They were very easy to weild. I changed to longer, which I like better because I get better reach. I suggest that if you do the longsword, go with a long blade though, go with what you know. Save the 30'' for an off hand sword or a shorter hilt.

Bigger blade needs bigger hilt by the way. 11-13in hilt for +36''

I use 36 inch blades with my longer hilts and right now I'm using a 32 inch blade in my two short sabers and they feel just right. Both hilts are about 9 inches so they feel fairly balenced.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>