Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CF kill key? Where to get em.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Default CF kill key? Where to get em.

Like the title says, I need to get on or what do you make them out of?

BLUE 3- Ready

I got mine from erv, 'tis plastic or somesuch
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

I'm actually pretty interested in these, too. I think in one of Novastar's gallery posts he showed how he used a hose barb, or something. I haven't been able to find anything so far, so I've just been using my recharge plug, but I'd like to fix that soon.

Something that readly common like say the tip of a cordless phone that dosent work anymore.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

The kill plug/key you use will depend on the type of port you use that connects your batteries to your charge port to your CF board (or any board for that matter).

What you decide to use is up to you. In my case, Corbin initially used 1/8" stereo ports with corresponding 1/8" jacks to be the charger "heads". Whether or not people consider this as good or bad... is up to them.

So, for consistency's sake--this is how all of my rechargeable sabers are wired up. In some cases, the port is simply for recharge and does NOT offer a "kill" option (basic sabers). But in the case of the Flange III sabers... I obviously want the kill option.

That is correct that I've used a "nylon hose barb", which is a T-shaped item, and needs a little sanding/grinding to fit the port "just so".

However, I've moved on to another part (which name escapes me), which is much smaller and isn't so protruding... but also does not cut both leads like I prefer.

Anyhow... the newer part I use looks like a nylon "brad" or plug... similar in shape to a screw.

Finally--NEVER use a metal kill plug of any sort!!! This means DO NOT use an "empty" stereo jack! This can effectively close your circuit, cross + and -, and therefore create a short circuit.
    Last edited by Novastar; 01-22-2008 at 02:12 AM.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Well the ports and plugs tim sells here. Would using another plug cause problems?

What about something like these, You remove the metal needel thingy and shave the bottem portion to fit inside the recharge port?
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu..._push_pins.jpg

Naturally the ports and plugs here will work in conjunction with one another (duh, heheheh ), but those do not give you a kill switch to use as far as I know.

As to using... PUSHPINS? Well... the metal pin runs through the plastic, and the plastic is extremely hard and brittle. It would not be high on my list of choices.

Nylon or PVC plugs are a good bet. Get the right size (1/8", 1/4", 1/16", whatever), do a little shaving down, and you're good to go. These are available at most any hardware store.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

WEll I was abel to rip the metal pin out of the push pin and theres a nice hole that appears to be the same size as the pin thats inside the recharge port that tim sells here.

There was one sitting on my desk here and I figured Meh its worth a look but after pu took teh pin out of the push pin a part of the head of it broke off so I said hell with it I dont want to deal with it now. LOL

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

An empty recharge plug like the TCSS one is fine. I agree that a stereo plug is bad... that's they way they work, but if simply a metal plug was bad we'd run into the issue whether the plug was attached to anything or not.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

We have some in the works..
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop