Thread: Question on the PolyE tubing

Default Question on the PolyE tubing

First i have to say im glad someone finally made a site like this, thanks. Next my question.

I noticed someone posted about the polyE tubing having to be heated and then it hardens, will it make a difference if it isnt hardened because isnt it just going inside the polyC tube? or will it look wrong if the polyE isnt hard? If it does need to be hardened will something as simple as a hairdryer do the trick?

Another question but this one is about the EL wire itself. The blade length is 40inches (or atleast the one im going to make) with the kit you sell it comes with 17ft of el wire. Im assuming you layer the wire somehow, How do you do it though? do you just run it up and down in the polyE tubing? or do you wind it around a dowel of some sort?

If you guys can provide any help i'd really appreciate it, and once again i have to express my excitement over this site. you guys rock.

-Dan

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Dan,

You heat the polye with a heat gun or a hair dryer might work to soften it so you can straighten it. As it cools it will stay straight or atleast straight enough. It isnt harder than it started out.

The EL wire gets folded back and forth the length of the polye to make 5 strands total.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Ah, i understand now. so when you ship out the polye tube it comes in kind of a spool? or it comes all wound up and you need to straighten it out? is it flexible at all though when it comes wound up, cause if its very inflexible then i dont think a hairdryer would work. thanks though for the quick response.

-Dan

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

You could straighten it just by using your hands to massage it straight, it would just take allot longer than heating it. Yes it would ship coiled or straightened enough to fit the box.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop