Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's third MHS and Sinktube Saber (MR sound w/ III red)

Those are 1.5" sinktube adaptors, and the tubes are also 1.25 and 1.5 inch. The 1.25" tubes fit inside the adaptors, and the adaptors fit inside the 1.5" tubes.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

So after I finished the brushed rear grips, this is where it stood:

Most of the major construction work is done, and it's time for the electronics:

The soundboard/driver for this will be an MR Vaderboard running a red Lux III. I soldered up all the connection and attached a pull wire to the battery holder:

I soldered everything except the led, which I'll do last:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The next thing was to cut a resonator for the speaker. I used a simple 3/4" pvc coupler (I cut in half on my mitre saw) for that:

I was out of quick disconnects for the led, so I just soldered some wires (blue for +, yellow for -) to it and hot glued a lens holder in place:

Once that was all done, it was time to slide it all into the saber hilt. The only difficult part was installing the switch. It involved a screw driver and careful prodding, but I got it all in there and assembled it for a test:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 01-07-2008 at 05:52 PM.

I wasn't going to do this to this one, but the emitter looked to plain to me...and I happened to have the other half of the shroud from the other saber left over, so I cleaned it up (deburred it) and slipped it on:

That looked okay, but I wanted to do something a little different on it than I had on the other one, so I scored it and taped it off, then took it to the bench grinder and the wire wheel:

I like that! Ties it into to the rest of the saber!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 02-16-2008 at 01:22 AM.

So now about the last thing to do is drill and tap for a couple of mounting screws for thshroud, and the blade set-screw. I lined them up with the other screws along the sides of the saber, and marked them off. I drilled them on the drill press, and tapped by hand. I did the same with the blade screw, which was for a 10-32 thread. I like the larger screws for the blade, they have more bite. And here's how it came out:

Unlike the other saber I built like this, the blade holder can be removed with the shroud attached, as it is screwed only to the blade holder. Unfortunately there is one small error on this one, and it has to do with the switch:

It's a little off-center, but I found it works out okay like that. There's a bit more room for my thumb when holding the saber.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 02-16-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Well, I think this one is done!

It's shown in the above pic with one of my thin-walled Dual-Core Diffuser blades. The sound is pretty good, even though this uses the old $2 speaker from the store. The only thing I'd like to change on it is the nut on the pommel end...it needs a chrome one, or maybe even a polished brass one.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 01-07-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Great looking saber. I like the brushed look of the grip and shroud.

Truly awesome Jay-Gon! I've been wanting to make a sinktube saber for a while now but didn't quite know much about how to make one. So I thank you for all the pics, I think they will come in handy when the time comes to make mine!

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

Really nice saber! Thanks for posting this stuff - this post and others of yours are very nice for those of us who haven't (yet) built a saber. Great pics and description!

Jay,

What's the angle of that shroud cut? Or did you just let the Force guide you?
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!