Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's third MHS and Sinktube Saber (MR sound w/ III red)

Default Jay-gon Jinn's third MHS and Sinktube Saber (MR sound w/ III red)

I had parts to build another one of these sabers, so since i'm off work for a while, I thought I'd get started! This one will feature the pearlescent front grip, an MHS style 1 blade holder, two MHS sinktube adaptors, about a dozen polywashers,and a chrome 6" sink tube tailpiece extension:

I have two led's I could use for this one, a red Lux III or a green Lux III. I'll have to order a few more small parts from TCSS in order to finish the wiring on this one. I'm out of the quick disconnect and a few other things, but I have enough parts to put together the main body!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The first thing to do is slide the polywashers into place on the 1.25" tube. I used a 20 guage commercial grade for this, so it'll take threads better than the 22 guage type:

Some of them had to be trimmed with an x-acto knife to remove extra flashing.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 07-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Next, I assembled the speaker grille using the nut and washer provided with the slip-joint extension:

A quick and simple speaker grille! The grille is actually a sink strainer I picked up at the hardware store. It looks blue because it still has the protective wrapper on it.

The next step was to drill the sinktubes for the adaptors:

I drilled the first hole using a small bit and drilled it through from the inside. I then switched to the #29 drill bit for the 8-32 threads that I will tap later and drilled the hole through from the outside. Using the hole in the adaptor as a guide, I then continued through to the other side as well.

For the secon set of holes, I measured the distance from the center of the first hole to the center of the second. I markedthe center with my x-acto knife (just a scratch is all it took) then using a center punch, marked the location:

The center punch will leave an impression in the tube to prevent the drill bit from "walking." These holes could be done in a drill press as well, but I thought since not everyone has one, I'd just use my cordless drill for these.

Again, I started with a small hole to be sure I hit the mark:

It was pretty close, so I changed the bit out again to the #29, and drilled it through:

I used the holes in the other side of the adaptor to guide the drill bit so the holes lined right up. Now it's time to drill for the 1.25 inch tube to fit inside the adaptor!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 10-17-2009 at 11:51 PM.

I installed the front grip into the adaptor ad drilled through the holes in the adaptor and the 1.5" tube, into one side of the 1.25" pipe:

Don't try to drill straight through on this step, it may not line up. I then tapped the hole with the 8-32 tap and my tap handle, and installed a screw. this will help hold the 1.25" tube in the adaptor so I can drill and tap the rest of the holes.

I finished drilling and tapping the holes for the center adaptor and put it together:

Next, I did the front adaptor. This was easier to do, so I didn't take any pics. It will be exposed on this saber, as it came from TCSS with a better finish than the other one. It came out fairly nice:

This adaptor was easy to drill and tap for, as it simply slid over the end of the 1.25" grip section. I lined up the drill bit through the threaded holes already present on the adaptor and drilled and tapped them one at a time, inserting a screw each time to ensure the adaptor wouldn't move.

Next thing to do is drill for the switch! I'll be using the standard click on/click off push button from TCSS, so I drilled a 3/8" diameter hole in the drill press:

After that, I put the grip marks on the rear grip and taped it up:

I taped up the ends of the grip area because this hilt is getting the "brushed finish grips":

They didn't turn out too bad, either:

I've done this before on another saber that I haven't posted here yet. I have a wire brush on the bench grinder that I use to make the rough, dull finish on the grips.

Next up is to drill and tap for a CT knob, and decide if it should have the black anodized one or the raw aluminum one.

thanks for the pics, you've really given me some ideas. So far, I've been concentrated on the electronics aspect of building a saber, putting the hilt on the backburner, mostly because I'm undecided on how to build it. Every pic I've looked at has given me a new idea... and since I'm new at this, I don't want to make my 1st saber too complex.

Are those both 1.5 inch sink tube adapters? From the pics, it looks like one sink tube is 1.25" and the other is 1.5". I like the pearescent grips, BTW.