Thread: pearl grips?

Cool pearl grips?

as a guitar player, i do most of the repairs on my gear (i break a lot of stuff on the road),while shopping for new parts, i found binding material at my parts vendor and thought "that would look great on a hilt". so i just ordered 52" x 1/4" pearl guitar binding , this should fit nicely between the regular grips, held by mounting tape, i'll post pics as soon as its all done. they also have abalone shell, but it would cost too much for me to pull off......so if anyone has some extra money and doesn't mind the extra work, you may want to try that direction.the original idea for my new saber was a Togruda concept, with akul teeth for a grip, but now i can have krayt dragon pearl!!
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

Sounds like an interesting idea! Please post pics once you have it finished. There are lots of neat options when it comes to binding / pickguard material...might have to try out some
    May the Schwartz be with you...

Thumbs down

ok, the binding came in today.... its EXTREMELY brittle when cut in short lengths, and difficult to keep from curling, so pickguard material is definitly the better route....and i thought this would be the quick and easy.....
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.

That sucks. I was looking forward to seeing the pearl grips. Good to know though, I had entertained the thought of trying that.
    "I cannot change the past. I meant to do good. But the dark side is slippery, as you yourself should know. I tried to hide. I tried to die. And finally, I tried to atone." - Ulic Qel-Droma

I know nothing about guitar stuff so you might as well be speaking Hutt. You should post some pics of the materials you used for us not guitar peeps, just so we know what to look for.
    "Once you accept it, the dark side is with you forever."
    ―Freedon Nadd to Exar Kun

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    ....and i thought this would be the quick and easy.....
    If there is one thing I have determined in this hobby / obsession....it is that NOTHING is quick or easy when it comes to saber building.

I think double or triple layer pickguard material would probably work out ok though.
    May the Schwartz be with you...

Yeah, black mother-of-pearl would look smokin' as saber grips, and I think you can get sheets of pickguard material from WD Music.
    Neither Jedi nor Sith am I - rather, one who inhabits that twilight realm where good and evil meet but have no fellowship; where light and dark overlap but never touch. A solitary being who never walks alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    as a guitar player, i do most of the repairs on my gear (i break a lot of stuff on the road),while shopping for new parts, i found binding material at my parts vendor and thought "that would look great on a hilt". so i just ordered 52" x 1/4" pearl guitar binding , this should fit nicely between the regular grips, held by mounting tape, i'll post pics as soon as its all done. they also have abalone shell, but it would cost too much for me to pull off......so if anyone has some extra money and doesn't mind the extra work, you may want to try that direction.the original idea for my new saber was a Togruda concept, with akul teeth for a grip, but now i can have krayt dragon pearl!!
    that stuff would probably be handy for making a replica of sledgehammer's .44 magnum..."trust me I know what I'm doing"
    Red 3 standing by