Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Updated saber

Default Updated saber

Changed the lower hand grip using brass strips. It's heavier, a bit longer, and perfectly balanced. I was pleasantly surprised to see how soft/easy to work with brass seems to be. For the blade I experimented using the celophane wrap in addition to the film since I'd seen it referenced so often out here. Between two to three feet rolled inside the corbin film really did change the blades appearance.

Last edited by B5813; 01-06-2008 at 09:32 PM.

That looks fantastic! I love the look of the brass grips...and as they become oxidized over time it will only add to the character of the saber.

I also like the way you tapped the screws in the pommel. Makes it stick out a bit more which I think it needs. Very cool!

Congrats.
    May the Schwartz be with you...

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

yes the pommel was the first thing I noticed. Awsome, man.

BLUE 3- Ready

Just wanted to say that I love the overall look of the hilt I would change a thing about it.

I do have a question about the grips. How do they feel? Are they comfortable? I've never had a hilt with metal grips of any kind, the closest being my Luke ROTJ FX one.

Sol Nexus, the brass strips don't sit high off the handle and they actually feel pretty good. They're pretty low profile and the surface is flat so while they provide pretty good grip they don't feel so "bumpy" that it becomes uncomfortable. They feel much better than say the handgrip on a MR Anakin for example.

Well that's good to hear. That is one thing that I don't like about my Anakin ROTS. The grips stick up way too much and make the hilt have an over sized feel to it.

Anyway, again, good job on this hilt.

Awesome looking saber. I love the lower grip.
    "I cannot change the past. I meant to do good. But the dark side is slippery, as you yourself should know. I tried to hide. I tried to die. And finally, I tried to atone." - Ulic Qel-Droma

How long is that? Looks almost 15"
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

It's actually a bit over 16" from pommel to the edge of the emitter shroud. Yeah, it's damn long! I went with a 5 inch extension piece to mount the brass strips to. I thought about shorter pieces but I had to keep in mind with mounting the strips I'd lose a bit of mounting surface because of the threaded ends and I didn't want to have the button head screws really close together as they would have ended up on a 3 or 4 inch extension piece. As it ended up the saber is very well balanced! The pivot point for single handed moves is just below the activation switch where as before I was using a ribbed extension for the lower handle and the pivot was slightly above the switch.

looks great! what did you use to do the mid-section "wrappings", it looks thicker than sink tube, thats some good work softening the edges too...
    If you refuse to bridge the gap, You will always be on the other side.