Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulk manufacturing of Crystal Focus V3.0 : we need you !

Erv,
    In my house we prefer to say: "Sith Happens!".

We all understand that you are trying to get us the best possible product while keeping yourself out of the poor house. You just keep up the good work. Hope it all goes well the the manufacturer.

EDIT: Woohoo!!! Finally Force aware!
    Last edited by DarthFender; 01-13-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Status Change
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

lol, that's a good one... in the same idea I love to call a "lost jedi on internet"... a web sith
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Some more news... unfortunatly not as good as I would have wished...
    Got several quotes from different compagnies from different countries.
    Each time it costs a lot of money, no doubt about it.
    Difference between 100 to 200 boards is $2. Difference between 200 and 500 boards is about $1.
    In a nutshell :
    - all compagnies charge more or less the same for the tooling.
    - european compagnies : huge assembly cost.
    - asian compagnies : cheap assembly cost but expensive parts and shipping.

The things is that most of the parts I use are quality parts. They can't really be replaced by made-in-china parts, except some capacitors and resistors, but the impact on the price is ridiculous. China isn't the manufacturer or owner of the important and expensive parts I use.
    My second deception is that when I see the proposed cost of the parts, it's sometimes the double of what I spend when I buy them myself. I get better deals when I order by 100 myself. It's not a 10 or 20% difference, it cost sometimes the double.
    Then : shipping cost. When you ship stuff that cost several thousands of $ you can't rely on the normal post office. It's UPS (or equivalent) or nothing, and you get the taxes when receiving the package (25% at least).
    Whatever I choose, it cost 3 times the current price, but still without the SD + holder + speaker. I just can't forward that cost to the user, for sure, and please understand I have to get a little something for making / inventing / further developping this board.

I've spent 2 days thinking about that. I'm going to continue to produce those boards myself. The only thing is the motion sensor. I've therefore ordered some soldering paste and I'm going to buy an hot air station and learn how to use it.
    Show must go on, and sabersmithes are starving.
    In a few days, as soon as I get the confirmation I can get some more SD cards, I'll order the PCB and I'll start a batch of 100 (2 batches of 50 probably). March is a good idea of the ETA, if I don't have any problem to get some parts.

Erv'
    Props Electronics

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

well I'm sure all of us are glad you tried. I'm sure we're all equally glad you decided to make them yourself (seems more personal) though don't run yourself down doin it! We all love your boards but we also like to see you around. Good luck erv!

BLUE 3- Ready

I think the real solution is obvious: Erv needs slaves... I mean minions....apprentices?
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Talking

I'll be his apprentice. Though I think he would just force choke me and laugh...... kinda funny.

Its a shame, but you done a good job Erv looking for a company! something good comes out of something bad, so i guess good things come to those who wait, CF comes to those who wait
    Last edited by Malaki Skywalker; 01-19-2008 at 11:03 AM.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

well hmmm ouch oh well maybe erv should let those guys who havn't gotten the board yet get one before the bulk of us who have one or more of the crystal focus core to order idk. I have a friend that always too late on ordering it or doesn't hear about it till too late. he travels a lot and is never around his computer much but yeah. until he saw my CFC he didn't think they existed. but yeah just a thought.

Same here I ether don't have the money or I miss the batch. I have done the 2 times now. But CFC is something I would dream of haveing. But mabe in March I can get one before they run out.

The "slave" question has been mentionned and partially discussed on fx-sabers
    Some also mentionne that I should go on Kamino to get clonned in order to work faster, héhé...
    I know that some folks haven't been able to get a CF. It's not that they are rare, but I admit the demand is becoming quite important.
    I've been looking for some semi industrial solutions I could afford. I still have the plan to build my own reflow oven but "baking" the boards is not what would really save time for building them : manual placement is incredibly time consuming and buying a placement robot is simply out of the question.
    More soon !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics