Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Focus 3.0 problem - help!

Youngling

Default Crystal Focus 3.0 problem - help!

Hi folks.

Well, I'd installed my crystal focus in a saber with a lux III, all well and good and splendid, but I've now run into a problem.

I tried to wire in the recharge port last night and I think I've done everything right - it's doing everything it should, except now the luxeon, i.e. the actual LED, is constantly on if there is power going to the board, whether the saber is switched on or not.

When I say doing everything it should, I mean that I get startup and shutdown sound effects and can navigate the menu fine - from a buttons and sound point of view, everything is working as it should, but the luxeon is on whether or not the saber is and so I'm stuck. It's also constant, without any of the visual effects.

I took the recharge port out of the equation, but this made no difference. I've also hunted on the board for any tiny bits of solder that may have inadvertently landed and made a connection where there shouldn't be one, but I can't find anything, even though I guessed this to be the most likely cause.

Any pointers for troubleshooting this myself before bothering Erv about it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Seth... can you post a photo of your wiring? That would help a lot.

Another you can try (if this is not the case) is to use the default sound/config packages to determine if there is some bizarre problem with this.

Also--did you at least try another on/off switch to help rule that out of the equation?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Actually, sethski, I'll appreciate you first email me before posting on the forums, since I'm not so often there, otherwise I "discover" that a customer had a problem for several week. No problem for posting here too, since some users here can be of some help as well.
    You're not bothering me, customer support is part of the job. I'm not kicking @sses so often, only when I'm proposed to eat spaghetti for breakfast

Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

lol oh don't get me started on that spaghetti wiring!!! lol
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

yes the spaghetti was disgusting, dont go back there lol
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

Youngling

OK, thanks for chipping in there, Erv, I just wanted to check for general advice coz if it is a mess up on my part I wanted to try and resolve it before contacting you. Email heading your way shortly, I'll remember that if I have any issues in future.

I think I saw the spagetti wiring pic - was that the one with all the black electrical tape as well? Whatever's up with mine, I promise it doesn't look like that

Novastar, thanks for the advice - I went back and put the original contents on my (reformatted) SD card, but no joy. I also checked with replacement buttons as I'd bought a few of them for this and other projects.

I'll contact Erv as he advised and take it from there. I'm sure it'll get sorted out one way or another...

Youngling

I will definitely be curious to know what the verdict is on this one... it sounds pretty involved thus far though...

Youngling

I'll let you know what happens. I have a horrible feeling it may be down to my soldering and chunky old soldering iron. We'll see...

Don't be too sure... I can't think of any "normal" reason that the blade would ALWAYS be on... whether switch on, off, or otherwise.

I'd ask more questions, but... as Erv said--we'll wait until you and he deliberate.

Needless to say--I've not encountered such a weird problem... and believe me, I've had many issues (95% due to my own things/soldering/missing files/whatever).