Thread: Screw question

Default Screw question

Thought I'd ask here since many of you have practical saber building experience.

When using screws do any of you use any type of threadlock on your screws? Anyone have any thoughts as to whether it's necessary?

Also, if you are using screws to join two thin materials (i.e. sink tube shroud to sink tube body) is it necessary(or even possible) to tap the holes?

Thanks,
    Averjoe

I personally like to be able to dismount my sabers. Sometimes you change your design, or change components. Particularly on stunt sabers, the impacts can cause malfunctions and you'd want to unscrew the whole thing to get to where its broken, or change led, or resolder, or whatever.

up to you.

Taping tin is, by experience, not solid, but doable. you better put a nut&screw.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can't really thread a piece of sink tube, it's so thin I don't think you can even get one whole thread in it.

You could try the blue type of thread locker, it's removable, (the red is permanent) and would keep your screws from backing out. Though you might have trouble removing small set screws, if you use it on those, and want to take your saber apart.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

yea i wouldnt recommend using any kind of thread lock on any screw that may need to be removed in the future. marsupial nailed it when he said designs change, or falter to a good blow. and as far as threading sinktube, i dont think that will work. but you can try it and let us all know..