Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Hasbro Luke ROTJ Conversion

Default Old Hasbro Luke ROTJ Conversion

I am not sure whether this would fit under Sound or LED Wiring, but since it involves both, I will place this here.

What I have is an old 1995 Hasbro Luke Return of the Jedi saber. Its blade has been broken and the incandescent mount has been damaged, so I would like to convert this into a lux saber.

My question to you wise members is how to go about that while at the same time preserving the sound board that came with the item, since I don't want this conversion to be too overly expensive. Can the stock board drive a Luxeon, or will I have to work around it?

Remember, this was an incandescent saber, not an LED.

Thank you,
    Zero.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The stock board will drive a luxeon fine.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I should have put this in the first post, but is that for a [green] Lux III, V, or K2?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Lux III

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thank you kind sir.

Now, all that I'll need is the blade (plus a spacer since the blade is too thin for a 1.5" holder), film, lens, LED, heat-sink, and some chrome paint. This will be my first project to get me started on this addicting hobby.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

How do you plan on adapting it to hold a blade?

I will fashion a spacer (probably out of wood, since I lack metal working tools) not unlike the 1" to 3/4" adapters sold in the store here. Where I will place the blade retention screw, I have yet to decide. I'll have to wait until after installing the electronics before I can even begin to decide that though, since I don't quite know how deep I can set the blade in.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you tried it with one of the newer Hasbros with the spring loaded blade, there's tons of room for a blade holder, since the blade retracts completely into the hilt.

There's got to be at least 8" in there, between the bulb and the end of the emitter.

It will require some Dremel work, but I have room in here. The neck at its narrowest is still at a 1.25" outer diameter, so I'll be able to squeeze a blade in there. As for the length, the hilt is a tad over 12", so I assume I'll have enough room in there for optics and the LED itself.

About how much room does a Lux III with a 5 degree lens take up, length-wise?

Thank you,
    Zero.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Just the LED and optics, no heatsink = ~3/4"
    LED, optics, heatsink = ~1 1/2"