Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New saber complete... or is it?...

Default New saber complete... or is it?...

Electronics are connected inside and working. Just have to put in an order for a blade now. I welcome all comments since I've seen so many good things out here and learned a few things here and there.

Sweet....
    did you ues MHS parts?

Every part inside and out except for the emitter shroud and grip sleeve are MHS parts from TCSS. His product on its own is nice looking and creates a well balanced saber piece which is why I didn't want to cover over the ribbed extension piece.

I hate you
    Just kidding, your saber looks sweet.
    Maybe just a bit more color, some black or brass, or copper, but definitely awesome either way. I wish my MHS came out that nice.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

What size tubing did you use for the overlay?
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I was just about to ask the same thing. That tube is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see Tim carry in the store.

I used aluminum tube from onlinemetals. The emitter shroud is something like 1.49ID * 1.62OD * .06 wall. It fit just a bit too big around the MHS. I split the tube, cut and shaped the shroud and then squeezed it down with a couple of hose clamps before I drilled and tapped a couple 8/32 holes. I did the same with the handle sleeve but the tube is slightly smaller.. like 1.43ID * 1.5OD * .035 wall. Once I split the tube down the middle the ID opened up to fit the MHS like a glove. Again, I drilled/tapped the four 6/32 holes to hold this in place. I liked the thicker walled aluminum tube instead of the sink tube personally so I was determined to make it work.

I've posted a link for them here before, but I haven't purchased anything from them yet. I'm disappointed to hear that the tube they offer is a bit too big. Still, with a little bit of tweaking it looks just fine on your saber.

Edit: Do you happen to know how well it fits over sink tube? I might still buy some from them if I can make it fit over the MHS with a sink tube shim.

That was my first thought too but the 1.5" sinktube did not fit inside the aluminum tube I bought... it was almost literally a hair too big. That's why I ended up splitting both aluminum tube pieces down the middle.

Well it may still be worth a try for me. I can always remove a little material to make it fit better on sink tube, or I can do what you did and split it. Thanks for the info.