Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasabers lens

Default Ultrasabers lens

Dose any one know what kind of lens ultrsabers use?

The kind like in flashlights
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

He uses a reflector in some. It's okay... I don't fret if I can't use one.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Would painting the backside of the lens, with say a silver or chrome paint, yeild a better or more focused beam? Almost like a flash light lens.

I don't paint the lens, but I do paint the lens holders on mine. Whether or not it helps, I dunno. But I figure it can't hur to concentrate as mich light on the lens as possible.

I apply chrome reflective tape to the inside of the lens holder and polish it the best I can. I think it makes a small difference in the overall brightness of the blade. It does help to capture a bit of the spilled light and reflect it back to the lens.

I apply chrome reflective tape to the inside of the lens holder and polish it the best I can. I think it makes a small difference in the overall brightness of the blade. It does help to capture a bit of the spilled light and reflect it back to the lens.
    That's a great idea! I was just using aluminum foil and gluing it to the backside of my optic lens but this is much better.

Thanks,
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

So they don't use the ones like those TCSS sales.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luar Selbor
    So they don't use the ones like those TCSS sales.
    Not really... he uses both. Remember some of his kits are TCSS kits that use the collimnator vs. a reflector

My opinion is that a reflector is a bit more efficient, but not enough for me to go out of my way to use them exclusively. With a few really good blade methods out there the benefits to evenness are moot and the brightness difference is barely there even in a side-by-side comparison.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I will go ahead and agree with X-wing on this one... with the caveat that... hey, reflective tape in strategic places:

1. Cannot hurt.
    2. Costs like... what... a few CENTS for the small amount needed, and maybe $10 for a gigantor ROLL of it???

I place reflective tape in the bottom portion of the blade JUST BEFORE the film/diffuser used. This naturally would only be about 2 inches or so... the amount your blade is mounted into the hilt (where it won't be showing).

I haven't tried it below a collimator lens, but... again--could it really hurt? No.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide