Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap LED lighting ???

Default Cheap LED lighting ???

Ok guys here's a question on LED lighting. I had purchased an LED conversion kit from Walmart ($4) thinking this would be the cheapest and brightest way to light my saber (Bare in mind I'm trying to go as cheap but accurate as possible on this one). My intention was just to mount this to the end of my 1" dia tube (that is spray apinted with blue translucent paint) and hook the two LED leads directly to two AA batteries.
    Two questions: 1. Do I need a resistor? I do not think the Mini-Maglites that this is made for has a resistor in it but I may be wrong and I'm picking up that most LED's do need a resistor) ??? I'm Mechanical not electrical.
    2. This kit says "Flood Pattern" on it so I guess I'm concerned over how to focus the light down the tube so it does not immediately scatter and disipate.
    Any ideas would be great. ...I know, I know, quit being a cheap ass would be a start. (But that would take away half the fun). My next Saber is going to be all out and I'll be breaking down and ordering some top end products from the Custom Saber Shop.

Thanks,
    Tiberius

Or you could not insult Tim and buy his stuff?!?!?[}]

The difference between his and that are litterally night and day.[]

Already making a wish list for Tim's items but this saber was already done (baring this light installation) prior to finding this wonderful site. No Doubt, The Custom Saber Shop rules and I've already informed all my friends about Tim's products. After months of wondering through other Jedi sites this is worlds above anything else out there.

Ok? Forgiven? [8D]

Tiberius

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

No insult taken here..but

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I know, I know, quit being a cheap ass would be a start. (But that would take away half the fun).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The other half of the fun is figuring out how to make it work on your own.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

True True. I'll give this a shot and see what I can come up with. Worst that can happen is I'm up to $9 spent. Talk about breaking the bank! [] If I can get this thing wired up I hope to have some pics to post next week.

Hey serious up, this is a great site.

Tiberius

Tiberius, the adapter for the mag light already has what you need built into the base of the assembly so you can connect it without any additional componets other than an on/off switch.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Do-Clo,
    Thank you. I took the adapter apart tonight and see that it does have the electronics on what looks like a very tiny PCB onto which the LED's are mounted. Very compact little design.

Thanks again,
    Tiberius

Sorry for jumping on you like that, I know what you mean about finally finding this site! It's just others come onto this forum not realising that Tim is trying to make money and run a business, a business I hope stays for a long time!

Truce?[]

No Problem. I intend to through as much business as I can find Tim's way.

Tiberius

"Stabilize your rear deflectors... Watch for enemy fighters."

Tim,

I believe this string is probably in the wrong area but I'm not sure how to move or even if I can move. Maybe it should go in the LED Blade Discussion area??? My apologies on this.

I did finish my very first Saber and wanted to post a few pics. I used the el cheapo led kit shown earlier in this thread. My blade is 40" long, 1"dia with a 3/4" mirror disc at the rounded end. I used Mylar inside the tube as Vadeblade suggested (Thank you for the excellent idea) and sprayed the clear tube with Translucent model paint which gives the blade a very pretty blue color even when not lighted. (I actually got the spray thicker than I wanted which cut down on my light much more than I had wanted but I've learned a lot so the next one will be better). Anyway, here's my first attempt.

Tiberius