Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Crystal Focus Soundfonts and Config Files (Shop and Swap)

Question

Thanks! It works great with debug on, so I wasn't worried about it. Man, this thing is cool! I've never had a CF before and I'm just blown away by its capabilities! It's worth every red cent (or euro-cent)!

I do have another question about the config files tho. I don't see anything that actually controls the speed and duration of the ramp up/down effects. But clearly the different sound banks do these effects differently. Now I do see the parameters for brk and slp, but if I'm reading the documentation correctly this is shaping the curve of the effect, not controlling its overall speed and duration. Is the time span for the effect based on the length of the poweron.raw and poweroff.raw sound files? I suspected this is the case because on the Episode IV bank, the LED is still on while Old Ben is talking during the shutdown sequence, but I may be missing something else. Anyone want to point me in the right direction to understanding this?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You've answered your own question. So to validate it - yes, you are correct!

Heheh, Eastern gotcha Dizzy!

Yes, the length of sounds have to do with the ramping of current. When I put the "long" quote of Obi-Wan saying "The Force will be with you... ... ... Always."--it extends the off time. This can naturally be changed and on my CD I offer a version of that poweroff sound that does NOT have the vocal (you can remove it yourself too with some finesse & the right programs).

HOWEVER, brk=xxxx and slp=yyyyy also affect the ramping--especially when the saber is first "truly" powered on (that is, the kill switch is removed). At this point, CF uses this sort of "default" ramping...

Why.

Well, at that point CF does not know the "best voltage" for your setup since it has just been powered up. It DOES know the optimal CURRENT... but it does not know the voltage. For example, you might have a Lux V LED @ ~7v + 1A... but you might ALSO have a Lux III LED @ ~4v + 1A!! How "smart" would that be if CF just randomly threw voltage at things? Not very.

SO... on the initial powerup (in whatever mode)... it uses the defaults to determine/poll for the general forward voltage that will achieve the current setting that you've specified. After that--well... now CF KNOWS what the voltage is, and can now utilize "better" gradation of the ramp and the on/off sounds better, etc. etc.

Long story I know, but... since we were here--I figured it might help Dizzy and a few others too! Also of note is that you should not "hot swap" your LEDs. That means--kill the circuit prior to changing an LED... otherwise you run the risk of CF giving an LED too little... or TOO MUCH voltage. The latter is the worst, naturally.
    Last edited by Novastar; 12-05-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: grammar... d'oh.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I’ve started messing around with Goldwave and I created a 3 Stooges sound font for my CF 4.1.

I have no idea how to host it, so if anyone is interested I’ll email it to you…it’s about 3 Meg in size…. if anyone of you wants to host it for me, that would be great also.

It’s a first try, so please treat it as such, but it was a lot of fun. These CF’s open a whole new door on sabers. I can see these advancing into high-tech MP3 players with flashing coordinated blade lights and stereo sound. The possibilities are endless!
    Last edited by Logan Cade; 12-16-2008 at 04:06 PM.

You're getting the idea, Logan... Fonts like my own "Chainsaw", "Kung Fu!" and even "Steel Sword" and "Phoenix Pyre" certainly open the door for unique fonts... and then you have Delmustator's "Lo Wang" font, Madcow's "Pet Droid", and many others.

CF is most certainly set up so that anything you think "fits" with motion and props... well, it can be realized if you think outside the box enough.

Ask Erv to host the font on his website if you'd like!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I figured out how to host a file, so here it is.

3 Stooges.1.zip Revised version.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

There a file in there called bootmenu.raw, that’s the one that’ll be the descriptive sound for this font that goes in the main directory. You’ll have to remove and rename it (one.raw-six.raw) for whatever bank you make this font.
    Last edited by Logan Cade; 12-20-2008 at 08:16 PM.