Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommendations for custom costume work

I think that's the point most people are trying to make about costumebase. I own some of his Han Solo stuff. I had to heavily alter it to get it to look right and fit me since I am below his "Medium" size.

The amount of time, effort, and money spent altering the stuff made me wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just get them custom made.

If you can alter things on your own then costumebase is a nice starting point. Depends how far you want to go with the costume I guess. If you want a casual costume for use every now and again, sure.

But if you'd like something more accurate, made of better materials, and custom fit I recommend going the custom route, definitely.

It's always a "to each his own" situation with this type of stuff. But I always say do it right the first time. If that mean spending money then save up and spend the money and be happy with the results.

I got my Belt done by a Saddler.
    True I had to change the buckle as he didn't have the one I wanted instore, but for £30, it was great.
    There must be a tack store or similar in Iowa, & they'd probably be cheaper if you bulk ordered, or could guarantee them your orders.

Corellian Imports is good with their craftmanship, but when he saw my belt, he thought it was one of his £95 ones!

My boots were done custom fit for me, so they were expensive (£160)

Soft goods wise, I can't help. Mine was from CostumeBay, back when his stuff was of semi-decent quality.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

When I saw the Corellian Imports booth at C4, I thought their stuff was over priced. Making Jedi belts is not that hard and only takes a few tools.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

J-Lo, if i had the materials, I would have done my belt myself.
    Also, I didn't want to hurt Imports feelings.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Thanks for the answers, it sounds like if I need something that I can essentially set on fire, run over with a truck, lace back together with bootstrings and use as "distressed" it's an option :)

I think I am going to go with Twin Roses designs, provided she is willing to add the shoulder tuck to the tunic, add velcro or snaps to the tabbards to keep them in place, modify the tabbards with a curve so they drape and hang correctly, and can get me an "authentic" looking costume that I can launder in my home machine.

Looks like I am placing the measuring tape firmly in my fiancee's hand tonight and giving her the measurement sheet.

When you get mesured make sure you add a touch extra for shrinkage or that thanksgiving dinner hasent gone away.

Good luck and remember lots of pics.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    I think I am going to go with Twin Roses designs, provided she is willing to add the shoulder tuck to the tunic, add velcro or snaps to the tabbards to keep them in place, modify the tabbards with a curve so they drape and hang correctly, and can get me an "authentic" looking costume that I can launder in my home machine.
    If you ask for it, she'll do it. Don't worry about that.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Speaking of the shoulder tuck on the tunic...

Can anyone tell me how to do this correctly? I tried it when I made my tunic, but it didn't look right.

Edit to add:
    I just realized that I shouldn't jack someone else's thread. If you have an answer to my question, post it in the thread I started about my own costume.

Thanks.