Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Lux V question I haven't seen directly answered

Thanks everyone....great discussion. I appreciate all the input.
    May the Schwartz be with you...

Yeah, I agree. Just use a simple 5v regulator and put a small heatsink on the fin or find a way to bolt it to the body of your saber for heat dissipation. I'm sure that would work fine, especially with a 5v regulator that can supply up to 1 amp.
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

may be a different model u have in yours novastar the one i have in my anakin saber has 6v going to it and only gets a touch warm

ive read this entire thread, and now im confused! im so confused i might beat myself over the head with my saber.

"....you have failed me for the last time....."

Quote Originally Posted by alpine
    ive read this entire thread, and now im confused! im so confused i might beat myself over the head with my saber.
    You could do that. Or you could post detailing what it is you're confused about, and we can try to help you.
    Blue 10 standing by...

Quote Originally Posted by alpine
    it's perfectly simple:
    If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move
    your brother's clothes down to the lower peg, you simply
    collect his note before lunch after you've done your scripture
    prep when you've written your letter home before rest, move
    your own clothes on to the lower peg, greet the visitors, and
    report to Mr Viney that you've had your chit signed.

it's perfectly simple:
    If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move
    your brother's clothes down to the lower peg, you simply
    collect his note before lunch after you've done your scripture
    prep when you've written your letter home before rest, move
    your own clothes on to the lower peg, greet the visitors, and
    report to Mr Viney that you've had your chit signed.
    A Python fan, very nice

Don't use a puck for anything but driving LED's. Use either the proper voltage battery or a higher battery with a proper output voltage regulator for the driver board.

Think of it like this... all systmes that supply power either try to regulate voltage, or regulate current. A battery works as if it's regulating voltage, since current changes a lot and the voltage not much. A voltage regulator works like a battery. Varying current but solid voltage. A buckpuck is a "current regulator." Voltages will vary, but it tries to keep the current constant.

Clear as mud?

A sound driver board is made for a certain INPUT VOLTAGE, so you want to give it something that supplies a CONSTANT VOLTAGE. Which is either a battery or a voltage regulator.

LED's operate at varying brightness based on CURRENT. They have a forward voltage which is true... but what you really care about is the current. So... a buckpuck is a perfect driver.
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!

Quote Originally Posted by pipster79
    may be a different model u have in yours novastar the one i have in my anakin saber has 6v going to it and only gets a touch warm
    6v might be a bit much for an FX board over a long period of time (both short-term usage such as 2 hours with no "offs"... AND long-term, such as will it work after 4 years)...

...but I say you're fine. And you're right--that means you are only "shunting" away 1.2v or so on a full charge... and as the pack is used a bit, the regulator will have to kill a lot less energy (more like 1v or even 0.8v)...

...so I imagine it would just get "warmish-hot" in the beginning and later become a non-issue.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

[quote="Eandori"]

Don't use a puck for anything but driving LED's. Use either the proper voltage battery or a higher battery with a proper output voltage regulator for the driver board.

Think of it like this... all systmes that supply power either try to regulate voltage, or regulate current. A battery works as if it's regulating voltage, since current changes a lot and the voltage not much. A voltage regulator works like a battery. Varying current but solid voltage. A buckpuck is a "current regulator." Voltages will vary, but it tries to keep the current constant.

Clear as mud?

A sound driver board is made for a certain INPUT VOLTAGE, so you want to give it something that supplies a CONSTANT VOLTAGE. Which is either a battery or a voltage regulator.

LED's operate at varying brightness based on CURRENT. They have a forward voltage which is true... but what you really care about is the current. So... a buckpuck is a perfect driver.

This is the best answer I have seen on this subject yet! Awesome. Yes, to Eandori we listen.

Glad to be of help
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)