Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon K2 info

...[:0]...What[?]

*************************************Yeah Nightwing, I reckon the shoe fits[][]

<center></center>

Would a white K2 driven off an MR sound board be any brighter than a 3W driven off an MR sound board? And If so it would have to be the high current version, right?

OK....ill let it out James.....I didnt want to do this untill i aqctually got around to posting pics of my newest conversion...but oh well....whiloe at james this week we tested this also....we dropped a K2 high voltage white into a MHS with a MR sound board, to see if there was a difference.....u decide....both the 3W white and the K2 HV are driven by a MR board.

Against a Mace 3W White:

Against a Maul 3W White:

<center></center>

<center>If my grammar it is you do not like, live with it you will have to. </center>

Council Member
    Sith Lord

nice pics ambo [^]
    my eyes tell me that the k2 is slightly brighter than the 3 watter. any other opinions?

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>

Ok, first post so don't kill me on this and I hate to nitpick on things but I can't seem to let this one go.

One LED will not be brighter than another if driven by the same board. Voltage will turn the LED on but if there is no current it will be VERY dim. Also as it turns out if an LED (K2) is rated for up to 1500mA then it will be its brightest at 1500mA. If you run it at 1000mA like the Luxeon III is rated for they will be the same brightness regardless of the potential. As such if you run a Lux III at 350mA like the Lux I is rated for they will both be the same brightness regardless that the Lux III is a more powerful LED. To get an LED brighter the current in the circuit must change for the brightness to change. SO running a K2 and a Lux V by identical power supplies they will both be the same brightness. To really compare them you would have to run the Lux V at its highest current rating and the K2 at its highest current rating to compare max brightness. You just compared 2 different LEDs running at the same point the K2 can go brighter but only if you give it the juice it needs to run at full potential. It is the same as when a Lux III is put on an MR board it is dimmer than if ran on Corbin's board. This is also why there are 2 versions one for the 1W and one for the 3W LEDs. It all boils down to basic electronics.

A little background I am interested in the sabers and am starting on one of my own and have been doing research on them for a while and came across here and REALLY liked what is offered and will be getting my supplies from here.

Sounds like you're going to have to run the LED and the S/B in Parallel instead of the LED off of the S/B.

Ambo and James, whoever owns those sabers, can you rewire them and post the results?

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Lord Maul

nice pics ambo [^]
    my eyes tell me that the k2 is slightly brighter than the 3 watter. any other opinions?

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

uhh, thats because it is brighter. havent u read all about the k2? it has the power of a 5w but is cooler than a 3w i think.

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

Soooooo...what you are telling me is that it is a figment of my imnagination that the K2 is running more efficently and hence brighter, off the same setup in both sabers off of the same board? Our point wasn't that we are running the K2 at its peak efficency(for we knew we weren't), just that it will run brighter off a MR board and hence another option for some conversions rather than a 3w, for in some conversions there is no room for running a parallel setup. Me pesonally if i see that a K2 will run even a little bit brigter off the MR board i will go with a K2 anyday, due to there being no real cost difference between the two. Again we knew that we would be sorely underdriving the K2 with the board, but being that the K2 is basically a more efficient LED over the 3W we thought there would be no harm in doing the comparison. I still dont see how you can look at the pics and say that the K2 isnt brighter than the 3W........but no skin off my teeth, i have K2 now installed in my Maul conversion and i am very happy with the results because it makes the lee filters look even mor vibrant than wheni had the 3w installed, so basically you can take it as you want, i just was trying to help out and give a decent real world comparison.....BTW....the 5W definately overshadowed the underdriven K2 and made the 3W look sickly.....

<center></center>

<center>If my grammar it is you do not like, live with it you will have to. </center>

I'm gonna be doing a white K2 in my Mace conversion soon... accept - I am using a 5 volt relay (thanks Do-Clo)... Then the LED will be driven full out by 4.5 volts with no resistor, not by the MR board. Then the K2 LED can suck all the juice it wants.
    I'll post pics when it' done, but I don't have a 3w white to compare anymore.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

EXACTLY! Ambo is correct. Ever look at the bin varitions? (not bin color) There are three versions of each colored K2. The bottom two both max at 700ma yet one is higher. The answer is it's more efficient at it's job.

I believe in most cases (I'd have to look at the info sheets) that a high amperage K2 will be brighter than the 3W in a conversion. It is definatly a good alternative. I believe you can buy star blanks from ledsupply also so people could go and use them now with a little effort.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>