Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Excitement got the best of me...

i totally noobed my first, i think most people wire the led backward the first time, but lucky me it only took me about 30seconds to realize i wired it backward

"....you have failed me for the last time....."

Best way to test PRIOR to doing the "real" wiring is to have a "sacrificial battery tester", with wires at the ready on it.

I usually use 3v (or 3.6v Li-Ion) since that will USUALLY give you SOMEthing on most LEDs that we're using. If I'm going nuts with a Lux V, I have my Li-Ion 7.2 packs sitting around also.

Anyhow... all you do is *BRIEFLY* and I do mean briefly touch the contacts until you get the little flash you're hoping to see. You can't blow anything up unless you test with WAAAAAAY too much voltage for the corresponding LED... and even THEN... you might get away with doing the "wrong" voltage since the LED flashes so briefly.

But try to test it with the "right" voltage. This testing idea is most useful when your LED doesn't really have any clear markers on what solder point is + and which is -.

Finally though... most LED specs show the tiny tiny differences between what "side" of the LED is indeed + and - ... they are just so bloody small it's not worth trying, just use my "battery touch" idea. THEN solder away. Saves time, went-down-wrong-road troubleshooting, and prevents you from thinking your LED is "bad".

Bad LED! BAAAAD LED!! No soup for you!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Master

i had tested it. I just some how turned it between test and solder.
    but i've gotten much better since then.

haha.. well i hope i dont get the LED that someone forgot to put directions in the box... cuz i would hate to order one, wait x amount of time to receive it..and then break it.. but seeing how i am on limited money, instead of building a couple sabers with different colors, im gonna set mine up to be a quick change config, so i will order like 3 led's....

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I hear ya. I just put in another order. getting a quick change kit, and an extra quick connect. Also finally ordered a corbin driver, and erv sold me a vader sound board. Hopefully will have them soon.

hey Arkai, just so i can put a face to the name, you are the one who made the youtube video on the green Proto 2 saber right? i think thats what it was called.... the video starts out with the van halen music.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

better late than never. NO that was not me on youtube.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulkeeper7700 View Post
    hey Arkai, just so i can put a face to the name, you are the one who made the youtube video on the green Proto 2 saber right? i think thats what it was called.... the video starts out with the van halen music.
    That's Eandori. I think you're mixing the names though... Arkai has done "proto" sabers like organic really old looking ones. Eandori refers to his sabers as that because it was essentially his second prototype.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

X is (per usual)... totally correct!

Eandori (Edwin) is the gent who made quite a few saber videos, one with the Van Halen music, and others demonstrating his green and red prototype sabers. He's a great guy, and you should ask him questions if you need answers. He definitely knows what he is doing, and actually implemented a "dual-speaker" chamber into a saber he sold on ebay.

Other projects that he's more known for would be the whole "flash on clash" project, where he's looking to trigger another LED or some other kind of light system (tied in with Erv's board) in order to make a flash effect that has more "punch". I suggested to him that we light the OUTSIDE (and not re-light the inside) of a poly-tube, as I believe it would show up better... but we'll see how it goes. It's a little more detailed than that, but... you get the jist.

Problem is... all of us are pretty busy with things like wives, g/fs, other work, etc. ... so making headway with "newer" ideas is sluggish at best.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide