Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some advice required for new project

Thanks Barmic and Sethski for the comments and advice!! Right now I´m trying to design a custom blade holder for each one. Right one is easier, and I´ve got an idea that should work. The one on the left is a bit trickier, so I´m planning to fill part of it with some putty or clay just to have a clear idea of the inner shape and the space available to work with.

I´ll try to post pics of it all, and I hope it will be soon

Finally, I´ve managed to come up with some updates

I´ve begun to figure out how the components will be placed on the one on the right hand. The following pic shows a 4AA battery holder fitted into the tube:

I´ve got to work out something to keep it in place, though... Next, a pic of the planned emitter area:

That´s a 1,25" blade holder sticking out a little from the tube. As you can see, the shape of the emitter prevents the blade holder to fit tight into it... And I came up with an idea: What if I used one of those metal repair compounds to fill the top emitter area, and then hollow it to the size of the blade holder? I´ve read that those compounds, once dry, can be sanded, drilled, painted... What do you think?

For the electronics part, this is going to be a resistored setup at first, so no sound for the moment... Maybe a recharge port will be added, but not sure ATM.

So, let me read what you think

by metal repair compound you mean a metal filled epoxy like JB Weld? It's tough to work with but when sanded down would work and it's plenty strong enough to be drilled and tapped. I would recommend working with it all the way through it's cure time to get it as close to the final shape and finish as possible (wearing gloves please!) as it's going to be much easier to just sand and smooth than it will be to try to remove large amounts of matter.

Thanks for the advice Ghostbat ... I´ve come up with this diagram, just to explain the idea a little better:

As you can see, what I plan to do is fill the orange area (which is completely hollow right now) with some epoxy to get it in line with the main tube section. The idea is to provide the 1.25" blade holder a tight fit, and some material for the screws to "bite". I was planning on filling that "bell" section completely, then drill it with a drill press to make space for the blade holder, in order to keep it straight.

So, what do you think... Could it be done? A better idea, anyone? Thanks in advance for your time reading this

I would wrap the blade holder in something solid, that wont move when you press it in. I would stay away from tapes, I've tried things like that. Maybe find some old plastic pieces from other saber projects, etc. I've recycled parts many a time with no problem. After you find something that will make it fit tightly, use JB weld or something similar to "clean it up" and keep things in place.

Quote Originally Posted by valeon
    I would wrap the blade holder in something solid, that wont move when you press it in. I would stay away from tapes, I've tried things like that. Maybe find some old plastic pieces from other saber projects, etc. I've recycled parts many a time with no problem. After you find something that will make it fit tightly, use JB weld or something similar to "clean it up" and keep things in place.
    Thought of something similar, I´m now searching for a tube section that would fit both the blade holder and the emitter area... No luck as of yet, though :P

And I also wanted to post this:

Just the first steps, and a truckload of work to be done, but I like how it looks

That looks REALLY good. I am VERY impressed. I can't wait to see decoration. In fact, it really doesn't need much of it.