Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new shop is 'finally' finished.

Default My new shop is 'finally' finished.

It has taken over a year since I made the decision to start my own business, but after the electricians left yesterday, my shop is finally in a working state. Those who know me are familiar with my story, but for those who don't know, here you go in a condensed form:

While my wife was expecting our first child, I picked up a manual 3-in-1 machine and started having fun with it - to my suprise, I really enjoyed working with it. After my son was born 3 years ago, my wife and I decided we would need to move out of california to raise our son the way we wanted to and live the life we wanted for our family. In a nutshell, Southern California has become an increasing hostile environment to the average American worker. We finally settled on moving to Idaho and started getting things in order about a year ago. I traded the manual mill for an older CNC machine and began collecting other equipment. We finally made the move this August and I have spent the last few months getting everything ready. I also picked up a CNC lathe along the way to round out my capabilities.

I know, enough talk, how about some pictures?

My shop.

My 4 axis CNC mill.

My CNC lathe.

My 'office' and workbench.

My commute to work. Yes, that is my kitchen.

Please, don't use this thread to ask for work. There are other ways to reach me if you would like to. Besides, not having my equipment for a few months means I am really back-logged at the moment. I just wanted to show off what has consumed a large part of my life the past few months and thought some of you might be interested.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

You didnt take the time to paint first?? Looks like you are setup and ready to roll.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Master

congratulations on taking the steps to make your dreams come true.

I cant wait till I do. Very nice and i'm sure you had a huge sigh of relief.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    You didnt take the time to paint first?? Looks like you are setup and ready to roll.
    With all the troubles I had drywalling and taping my son's playroom, I am not even going there in the garage. I got insulation in the walls and drywall up and that's good enough for now. After those machines make me some money, I will see about maybe doing some pine planking to give it a more finished look.

Well I am ready to roll on the mill since I have been using it for a while. The lathe on the other hand - I am still reading through the 4" thick stack of manuals that came with it now that I can see what is on the CRT.

Looking pretty good Ace, Once you get some of your backlogged work out of the way I will have to come drool over your machinery... i mean work with you on some custom ideas i have had brewing for a while
    Congrats on getting set up!
    FSM What's on your belt?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Looks too pretty... dirty it up a little!

Someday I'll have my garage... I like woodwork too so I'll probably need even more space! Heck In my dream house I have a entire "man floor"... wood and metal working tools, studio (for music and drawing), and my library (my small 10'x10' room back home has one wall 2' deep with books).
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

very nice man! I envy you.

BLUE 3- Ready

Awesome:

So, The mini Custom Saber Shop?

Hope the buisness works for you.

Great to hear you've popped up on the other side of the country in good form!

Obviously, I'll be contacting you in the future regarding SOME kind of custom-machining project... but I don't know what as of yet...

I can attest to the fact that living in (for example) San Jose/San Francisco is extremely difficult. Living expenses are completely insane, and the wages... pretty much identical if you live in (let's say) Idaho and do the same style job. So, my living in San Jose just KILLS my income (as paltry as it is being a small business of one), and what else can I do when I teach fencing classes.

Anyhow... you're in our thoughts--and can't wait to hear more from you regarding tri-lux, machining and all that jazz!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide