Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Balance of Power III -- "A Force Undying"

If I had any spare money, I'd donate. Istead I'll donate thoughts :P

Would it be possible to wirelessly link the lightsaber's using CF to the speakers? That way you'll get more noise from them.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller

Would it be possible to wirelessly link the lightsaber's using CF to the speakers? That way you'll get more noise from them.
    Unless you plan on donating ore money instead of thoughts... not going to happen. It is possible however.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

This is just a suggestion, but I know of several roving "theater" troupes that perform their shows "in the round" rather than on a traditional "one side to the audience" stage. I know that you are often complaining about small stage size, doing the performance "in the round" might not only open up a bit more space to act in, but also add a new dynamic twist to your show. Being that your shows are live and not something like a fan-film it gives you a unique opportunity to capture the audience in a whole new way. To bring them into it and make them feel like they are watching more than just a stage show. Of course, you know your show better than I, and you may be thinking that I'm totally wrong. Like I said this is just a suggestion, do with it as you may. For those of you who are not familiar with the term "theater in the round" it is when the stage is central and the audience is on all four sides (or all around if your stage is actually a circle). So again, just my two cents. I hope BOP3 goes well for you, I wished I lived anywhere near you guys, Id love to help out.

peace,
    SB
    RED 7 Standing by...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller

Thoughts are fine! Thanks...

However, yes, I've thought about this even prior to BOP I. There are several pitfalls to this sort of setup--some of which no one would "think about" normally. Let me explain.

1. The cost. Yes, it's obvious. But not necessarily prohibitive, considering... hey--something to have KEPT over BOP I, II, III, etc. had we went with it.

2. Logistics, repair, implementation. This would likely drive the cost up yet again--and produce even MORE problems, some of which we could never handle... no matter how much $$$ was available. It would be a question of skill and manpower. Also--bringing the wireless system to each venue--risks theft, and would likely need to be "manned" to tweak volume levels and whatever for this moment and that. I have no idea about signal noise either... would we get static and problems if we were... at the Cal State Faire?

3. "White noise created instead of saber noise..." Ok... this is actually the big one. Despite what we are all "accustomed" to via Ben Burtt's wonderful and meticulous work to make the saber battles... well... dynamic and more like a symphony of flowing music... the reality is... playing every single saber noise for every saber (especially during a BOP I style thing)... would sound like utter noise.

This also prohibits the sound from (for the mostpart) ever being the same... and also would cause it to be fairly "staccato" overall... and somewhat repetitive.

Additionally, if "key" maneuvers were missed... no sound would occur. ALSO... imagine the "special" saber sounds, such as particular Force actions, multiple overlapping sounds (for layering, variety, interesting feel)... or... for example, the sounds when Novastar is killed.

It's hard to explain. But I can tell you this. It would not sound very good. Maybe in due time with software that is a LOT more "intelligent", dynamic, and can produce multiple overlapping sounds at key moments... and PROCESS them prior to playing in order not to repeat a sound over another action.... UGH. Hard to explain.

It would not be good--even if I wanted to spend $15,000 on it. It would STILL be worse than a "scored" track.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob501
    This is just a suggestion, but I know of several roving "theater" troupes that perform their shows "in the round" rather than on a traditional "one side to the audience" stage. I know that you are often complaining about small stage size, doing the performance "in the round" might not only open up a bit more space to act in, but also add a new dynamic twist to your show.
    Good comment... my first actor to be cast in BOP I long ago thought of this as well. Here are the inherent problems:

1. Stage "cheats". In theatre--especially for combat--certain angles produce terrible results for certain motions. As a society that is now super-uber saturated with film... almost no one will EVER consider this when watching a live performance--because it is NEVER a concern to a film director. If they realize a shot looks "bad" from angle 1... they simply never show it to you! In fact, most average quality/budget films (and naturally up to uber-budget ones) work the shots out WAAAY ahead of time, and so there are RARELY "surprises". It all looks good in post, and the cutting room floor is a fright. But unseen by audience's eyes.

2. Entrances and exits. Or the lack thereof... no where to run to... no place to hide.

3. Availability? Not many venues offer this type of setup. At least, not in my experience. Certainly I know what you mean though.

Now... going back to stage cheats, and using the audience's perspective AGAINST them... I can't even BEGIN to explain to you how many places I wanted a certain angle--and so we set it up... and other times where there was simply no choice due to the current position the actors would be in from move X to move Y. At one point, Phil actually STEPPED on me (Nova's body) early into rehearsals and staging. I changed that immediately, as it was MY fault for staging it in a difficult way for all of us... instead of a better way--which we used.

Can you imagine if the audience could more easily see the bodies "falling" onto the padded mat behind the "lift" in BOP II? Or... if they could see that Anthony had a saber staff in his hand when he popped up from behind the table as an ST... or... that Cael (Phil) and Necro (Anthony)... were hiding under the table TOGETHER at one point???!!!

Ah... Sith & Jedi... under the table... co-mingling. At last, lol...

heheheh. Hmm. Alright. So... staged combat is quite a farcry different from filmed combat, as it requires you to move in "real time" around a given set. In film--viewing angles can be changed to enhance all sorts of things.

Even my backtucks had to be "set" in a special way to make the most use of them. Same thing with kicks, kills, whacks, force "pulls" and "pushes"... and a myriad of other things almost NO ONE would EVER detect without me pointing it out.

Again, there ARE some things I wanted that I didn't get. Examples:

In BOP I, Necrolosis was supposed to "force push" Cael down to his back from SR to SL... but the actors were so nervous that evening on the Santa Clara Univ. stage... they got in a strange position... Necro US and Cael DS... the "push" was somewhat lost... although it added to Necro's attempt to thrust him as he lay fallen on the ground...

In BOP I, I instructed Anthony (Darth Necrolosis) to "stab" at the character of Sariss on the UPSTAGE side of her. This means he would point the saber tip right at her belly button--to put it in perspective. Anyhow... as you can see in the performance... he instead decided to sort of... "angle" the blade AROUND her body. I asked him NOT to do this during rehearsals, but he persisted, and I had better things to deal with.

As you may all realize... YOU be the judge on which action would be more effective and realistic. So... I didn't get what I wanted there. Oh well.

In BOP II, the saber throw that I make to hit the ST behind the console table is essentially "lost", as it travels DS to US. In other words--the audience didn't get to see it "fly" pretty far (across the stage)... such as Necro pulling the saber in BOP I. There was little that could be done about this, given some logistical concerns, safety concerns... and Novastar's entrance.

In BOP II, Necro's "blaster pull" from the ST is somewhat lost. I could have fixed this a bit better if I had more time.... but I messed that up and couldn't get it done!!

Anyhow... those are just a few of the MAJOR examples... I don't even want to go INTO preventing everyone from colliding in BOP I. But I'll bet that never crossed hardly anyone's minds... 10 fighters... intertwining, moving back and forth, swinging here and there... it's much more difficult than it looks.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

If the fund become available I will definitely donate. I over the Altimont in Modesto and I would SOOO love to be a part of your work but with my work I don't have the time. Definitely let me know when and where it going to be I would love to be there in person.
    "Once you accept it, the dark side is with you forever."
    ―Freedon Nadd to Exar Kun

Darth Zecks--thanks for the kind gesture! The fund is indeed available... you simply follow the links to my website below (in my TCSS "signature" there), and look for the paypal donate button.

It matters very little to me HOW much people donate... but, they probably have no idea how much a SINGLE DOLLAR can help, and naturally $10, $15 or $20 will too!

Thankfully, I have been blessed with generous donations of vastly varying values... and I'm very glad. So far, it's already helped a HUGE amount--even if in a small fashion. It all makes a difference!

Edited an earlier post about how many "moves" are in one particular battle...

I don't know what I was doing when I initially made my count... I WAS going quickly, but... I was off by a lot.

About 210 attacks/defenses/specials going on in ONE particular battle of BOP III. Again, that is just ONE of the many battles. I guess it's not much to share, but try to put it in perspective by going out there with your buddy and try 200 moves without much stopping. You have to get it all about 99% correct, too. Don't forget to add in acrobatics, saber spins, costumes and all that jazz. Now try doing the soundtrack for that. Wheeeeee.... :P

All I can say is... it should be pretty cool if we're able to pull it off. A big challenge, but... not impossible, I hope.

I don't know if you posted them for BOP I and II, but a list of where you would be performing BOP III would be nice to have, whenever it gets decided.

Keep up the good work! My kids and I enjoy watching them.

Toil awhile ... endure awhile ... believe always ... and never turn back.

Glad you mentioned that, Jetsi... it's hard to find good venues, as we are volunteers, and I don't have a bunch of connections.

I am assuming that BayCon '08 and the Cal State Faire '08 are 95% "go", but... right now, the rest is open-ended.

We used to perform in downtown San Jose for this "movie night" sort of thing, but as coordinators left/quit, new ones decided against having BOP II perform even after agreeing to HAVE us perform. It wasn't pretty. A lot of folks who saw BOP I there last year were asking about it, but pretty much had to be told it would be taken away.

Sometimes free performances are... uh... too hard to setup?? I don't know.

The reason that was given to me about the downtown SJ performance went like this:

Them: "Your show doesn't align with any of the movies we'll be showing this year."
    Me: "You mean like Star Wars movies?"
    Them: "Yeah."
    Me: "Last year you didn't show any SW movies either. I was told you couldn't... due to licensing issues. Anyhow... instead, you showed 'Galaxy Quest'--with Tim Allen--after we performed."
    Them: "Well, we don't have anything like that this year. Nothing really sci-fi or adventure/fantasy."
    Me: "Really? You might want to change your webpages and flyers... it says here: Back to The Future, Wizard of Oz, (some others I can't recall)... those aren't relevant to sci-fi or fantasy?"
    Them: "No, not really. Those aren't space movies."
    Me: (pause) You're right, they aren't. (pause) Neither is Balance of Power. We'll be doing live staged combat on EARTH."

After that, things tended to go downhill. I don't know WHY, but... maybe my illogical behavior made me come off as abrasive and mean. I just wish they hadn't AGREED to have us perform and then renege on their promise months later.

Weasels.

Anyhow... if anyone has any ideas (that are in CA)... I could use help in organizing such events or even learning ABOUT events! I'm sooooo not "wired in" to the whole cons thing and so forth, since I'm not really a dude who goes to cons... too much work to do!