Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about creating a new type of saber.

Default question about creating a new type of saber.

Ok I dont know if this has been asked or not but here it goes. First I plan on making a steampunk sith for next years comic con. For my saber I would like to have a functioning external belt mounted power source. What would be the best way to do something like this. BTW this will be for an LED saber. I will either be using a US2.0 or a FX saber/corbin driver combo..

'Sounds easy enough. Just route your wires from the hilt to the battery on your belt. To create the illusion of a thicker power wire, I would put the wires in a wider tubular material that is also flexible. Conduit wrap, used in office spaces to conceal multiple powercords/phonecords, comes to my mind as a possible material.

Also, I would shrink wrap the actual wires inside, so they don't twist during the saber's movements.

You could also just build a regular led saber and maybe have a "dummy" power box on you belt that actually houses the transformer and batteries for an EL wire running to your saber. Could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Titoshi View Post
    You could also just build a regular led saber and maybe have a "dummy" power box on you belt that actually houses the transformer and batteries for an EL wire running to your saber. Could be awesome.

Great idea!

The only reason why I would ever consider using the belt to actually power the saber is that on a belt you can mount a much larger mAh battery pack, which for certain applications (conventions, shows, etc) means that you can run the saber for much longer without a battery swap.

those are great ideas. I was thinking to actually connect the power supply to the saber could you do the same type of connections like you would use for an EL blade with the stereo plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1977 View Post
    those are great ideas. I was thinking to actually connect the power supply to the saber could you do the same type of connections like you would use for an EL blade with the stereo plugs?
    I don't see why you couldn't.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Keep in mind the power source behind your steampunk creation though. Not in terms of reality but what the illusion of power would be. Steampunk items tend to "operate" off steam and are heavily gear driven things which is why people use alot of clock components too. If you could create something that looked like a preasureized cylinder for delivering steam/gas to the saber instead of it just connecting to a box on a belt that would fit in well especially if you could get hold of a steampunk sound font.

I would also add a few accent LEDs or knobs to the belt pack, just for aesthetic appeal.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Titoshi View Post
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by B5813 View Post
    Keep in mind the power source behind your steampunk creation though. Not in terms of reality but what the illusion of power would be. Steampunk items tend to "operate" off steam and are heavily gear driven things which is why people use alot of clock components too. If you could create something that looked like a preasureized cylinder for delivering steam/gas to the saber instead of it just connecting to a box on a belt that would fit in well especially if you could get hold of a steampunk sound font.
    I think things like electromagnets and early electrical gear also qualifies, electric power is technically contemporary with steam power.