Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Custom Hilt - Darth Talon

Stunning work, Pam.

May I ask you to please elaborate on the "silver Apoxy" you said you used?

I'm planning using a two part sculpting epoxy to add detail over a traditional metal shaft, but am concerned that it won't have the tensile strength to bond to the metal in thin strips. Obviously, with your Talon design the epoxy covers the entirety of the metal tube below and so there is nothing to "fleck off". In your experience, how tough would you say the epoxy bond would be in this instance where it only partially covers the tube?

'Can't wait to see your finished costume!

yet again breath taking work Pam, it's good to see her finished you must be really happy with how she worked out!

"During the constuction there was no doubt as to what I would name her, this saber is mine, this is Fury" - Mcich Felwind

Looks great Pam... are you going to put the electronics into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitji View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I finally finished sculpting and painting my Darth Talon saber, so I thought I'd share how it turned out. This was a fun project, and I'm definitely planning to make another saber from scratch sometime in the near future...

Pam
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Looks great Pam... are you going to put the electronics into it?

Uh, Nova, go check out page 1 of this thread.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

That is some amazingly intricate work. I know how difficult it is to work with Apoxie Sculpt and I am not very good at it...so I can appreciate the sheer amount of sculpting skill and patience you have to work with the stuff! Great great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    May I ask you to please elaborate on the "silver Apoxy" you said you used?
    The "silver Apoxy" is a two-part non-toxic sculpting epoxy called "Apoxie Sculpt". You have approximately a 3-hour working time, with the first hour being when the Apoxie is stickiest and most likely to bond to surfaces, the second hour being when the Apoxie is more clay-like and moldable (ie, not too squishy), and the third hour being when the Apoxie begins to set up and harden and you can do some detail work like carving. The Apoxie sets and cures in 24 hours. Afterwards, it can be sanded, painted, drilled, etc. It does stick to materials (again, the first hour is when it is stickiest), and it is very hard and durable.

The lightsaber on the top is an MHS/sinktube saber. It has an extremely thin (and rough) coating of Apoxie Sculpt that has worn down over time (ie, it has managed to hold up over a year and a half of being dropped, thrown, and bashed around), but you can see that it is still intact. In fact, every bit of black that you see on that lightsaber is Apoxie Sculpt (well...except for the activation button and Covertec button).

And the pommel of the newer aluminum/sinktube saber (the hilt on the bottom) is also Apoxie Sculpt. Again...that would be the bits of black in that picture.

So in a nutshell...Apoxie will definitely bond to metal very well, and it is very durable. It's just a bit of a pain to work with. Again, absolutely killer work on your hilt Mitji! It's nice to see such great sculpting talent brought to a lightsaber hilt, especially since sculpted and/or "organic" hilts are very rare.
    Last edited by gundamaniac; 12-28-2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: simplified my apoxie description

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Thanks gundamaniac, that was very informative. Your sculpts look very impressive also, as I imagine those straight lines are tough to come by!

I'll Google "Apoxie Sculpt" and go from there with planning my build.

there is a specific place called avess studios that selles it http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/A...ie_sculpt.html
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)