Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Design contest discussion

Out of curiosity Tim, are you looking at getting a design patent?
    FSM What's on your belt?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Nope
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Can Corbins KP count? I sure hope not!!!

Though something in tribute to such a beauty would be allowed, right?
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin
    Can Corbins KP count? I sure hope not!!!

Though something in tribute to such a beauty would be allowed, right?

I sincerely doubt Tim will want to machine 30 different pieces like the KP has. That's not including the screws, batteries, PLI, driver and other parts you would have to assemble. Talk about expensive. I'm probably going to be installing the Plecter Labs 2.5 board soon too, so that will add a speaker and several LEDs, maybe even a resonator, so the parts count will continue to grow. Not that the saber run would have all those parts (and expense).

Besides, the fluted grip tubing is tough to find in the right size. I have enough for maybe 20 sabers, but not 100. I might incorporate them into a smaller saber run of my own eventually. We'll see. It definitely wouldn't be as intricate as the KP saber, that's for sure. Maybe something like the picture below.

Now, a saber that's "a tribute" might be do-able. However, that would probably violate the rule about copying someone else's design. So I suppose I'd be the only person that could copy the design without violating the rule, not that I'd be offended if someone wanted to do a tribute saber.

This isn't a submission that will be going into the competition, unless there's a major call for it among people, but here's a 3D rendering Ace sent me back when we were trying to hammer out all the KP's design elements. It's not even copper and brass (heaven forbid!). LOL

I have a ROUGH idea on how you'd squeeze all the electronics in there, but again, it would require more custom machine work than it's worth. I suspect the finished piece would be around the $200.00 mark, which is more than a lot of people would want to spend I think.

Corbin

That's actually a rendering my brother did. He was trying to (re)learn Maya and asked for something that would be a challenge so I gave him the renders of the original KP saber I did. I still think that is a mighty sweet design. Too bad you could never pull of the carbon fiber look on the blade holder.

"I have a ROUGH idea on how you'd squeeze all the electronics in there, but again, it would require more custom machine work than it's worth. I suspect the finished piece would be around the $200.00 mark, which is more than a lot of people would want to spend I think."

I dunno Corbin theres 30 people, including me, signed up on Ultras forum board at FX sabers for a third run of his Overlord design at that same $200 price point or more depending upon configuration so I suspect you could find customers for a small run of a couple dozen or so for what is imo a very nice tribute to your fabulous KP and has quite a look of "sophisticated elegance" in that black and silver.

That gives me an idea ACE...
    I'm planning on doing a design - but I make all my pics in MS paint!
    (I know - I'm a cave man).

Does anyone want practice on a real program - and is willing to do a rendering of my design??? (or other fellow cave men's designs?).

PM me

MC

Onli-Won Kanomi,
    I'm not ruling out a tribute saber, but I doubt this is the contest for it.

(1) It has more than your average number of parts
    (2) It would require more time to assemble
    (3) It would therefore be more expensive
    (4) I would lose all right to the design
    (5) I don't have enough fluted tubing for the amount of sabers this run will be
    (6) I'm going to be doing a smaller run on my own after the new year and this might be better suited for that, for all the above mentioned reasons.

MC,
    I seem to remember a thread (over in the gallery section I think) where somebody was doing renders for folks, though it wasn't actual 3D stuff, just high resolution 2D.

Corbin

P.S. As Devil's Night and Halloween approach, so does my 666th post. Granted, as I supass that number, even THIS post will show a higher number, but still, quite a coincidence. :P

i also am planning to enter the contest and am looking for someone to do a 3D rendering for me. If there's anyone out there who feels like doing it that'd be awesome. just pm me. if not, oh well. i don't really have a problem posting my drawing.

I'd like a clarification on the rules:
    Would offering an optional/alternative colour scheme (eg powder coating suggestion) count as a second design?
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger