Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: led flicker?

Default led flicker?

i just finished wiring up my first saber. my led keeps flickering fairly quickly. i've had to resolder the wires leading to my led which have come loose a couple times. (does anyone have any suggestions on keeping that on? a bit of hot glue or something maybe?) but they seem to be fairly secure this time and i'm getting a wierd flicker. it looks kinda like hasid had a similar problem and the solution was that his saber wasn't getting enough current. here is that:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/fo...ight=led+short

i'm running a green k2 with a mr board and corbin's driver w/ the 4AAA battery pack and the speaker sold in the store. could what happened to hasid be happening to me or is it the connection to the led? (if necessary i could probably post a video of the flicker)

EDIT: here is a vid of the flicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reek4k4ANGI

If I had to make an assumption based on what I read and saw... I think Corbin's board just barely has enough juice coming from the batteries to provide the current it needs to function and also provide current to the LED.

However, it seems that it is just not enough... and so it shuts down. Then, current is available again, and it goes back on... but not enough now, shuts down, etc. This is a similar effect you'll get on Corbin's board when the batteries begin to wane / get too low on voltage/current.

So, that's my guess. It doesn't appear to be a bad connection, seeing as it doesn't just go RIGHT out, it FADES... the only component in there that will create a fade... is Corbin's board!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

is there anything i can do to fix it?

Of course--if that is indeed the problem.

Change the LED to a Lux III Green... might help.

Refresh, add or change the batteries to give a better overall current and voltage. Then again if you're running 6v to Corbin's board, I can't imagine why it would be under-powered.

Try running the Corbin board on its own to determine if it would act this way on its own.

Run the FX board at 4.5v on its own (max around 5v or so) to check if IT is causing problems.

Basically--some troubleshooting!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I use a little 5 min epoxy over the soldered wires on the pads on the LEDs and down to the holes where the wires come up through the heatsink.

I wouldn't want to use hot glue, even the high-temperature stuff.
    Think about it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

wait... correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the mr boards only capable of putting out like 900ma? if the k2 wants 1500ma i'm WAY underdriving it right? or is the corbin driver boosting things back up to 1000ma or whatever? lol i'm confusing myself.

How have you got it wired up ? If you are just using the MR board for sound then its current requirements are going to be pretty modest, less than 100ma on average, its capacity to drive a luxeon isnt an issue at all.
    If you are using the corbin board to power the led then it should run fine on the 4xaaa batteries. You arent powering the corbin from the mr board are you ?
    Phil Higgins

i have it wired like this:

Corbin made that diagram himself... hmm... I wonder what is going wrong...

Is the Corbin board you have a LATCHING one? I assume yes, but I might as well get that out of the way.

yeah its latching.... i really have no idea whats wrong here... is it possible that either the positive or negative wires leading to the driver might be loose causing the driver to "think" you turned it off, giving it the fade out effect?