Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Protosaber 2 (in progress)

because I love you all I will tell you my secret source of Epoxy putty.

Pool supply stores.

Yes! for usually under $20 you can get a pound of putty comparable in performance and texture to hobby epoxies that go for $20 an ounce.

Usually just calld A+B epoxy, or tile repair epoxy. It's not metal filled so you wouldn't repair your engine with it, but it's still pretty tough.

Arkai....im curious, was the first batch of epoxy putty you tried (that cracked and fell apart) a type you have to mix? if so you used to much hardener...if you use to much, sure its gonna harden faster but you will actualy loose strenth. if you use to little, it will remain more flexible. You want to use the proper amount or just a little bit less for it to be ideal and strong so it wont break under use.
    basicaly the same idea as bondo or body filler, many people think if they use more hardener it will make it stronger and harden faster, where really it makes it more prone to breakage
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

first batch was a one part air dry clay (no mixing required). On the box it says it drys to rock hard consistency. I dont' think it was meant to be wraped around a sink tube.

The Apoxie Sculpt on the other hand is perfect.

maybe you just got a bad batch the first time then. Possible it sat around to long on a shelf somewhere before you bought it.
    Oh well, glad the new stuff is workin out for you, cant wait to see how it looks
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

I have yet to see an air dry clay that has any real durability, even the heat cured polymer clays are pretty brittle. Epoxy is the way to go for anything that's going to be handled much.

I'm gonna give this ago for my Sith Legacy saber.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...epoxy&doy=1m12

Normally used for filling holes etc, but since I got it cheap, it's no too bad if it screws up!

God bless staff discount!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Staff discount, hmm? That's worth knowing.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

For what little it's worth.

Any parts that could be used for sabers, we no longer stock, except battery boxes, & wire. Plus the occasional gem like my new case for my collection, & the occasional bit like this putty.

We stopped selling Luxeons about a year ago. Still, Tim & Erv get more cash from me!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I honestly look forward to seeing where this goes. Really nice idea.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

*update*

Progress has been much slower on this than planned due to life happening.
    To recap the last few weeks....

I've assembled the electronics, and replaced the resistor with a buck puck.
    I redid the hand guard frame, as I was unhappy with placement of a couple of points.

Started sculpting it Sunday night. I wish to say that the Apoxie Sculpt lives up to its packaging. This stuff is harder than rock when it cures, with zero shrinkage, and can be drilled and tapped. And for durabilty, my son hit the hand guard with his saber full tilt (anybody ever dueled with a 4 year old understands that they hold NOTHING back in a swing). didn't even scratch it. Bear in mind the hand guard is a 1/16th inch thick coating on a wire hanger.

I'll post a couple of progress shots of the sculpting in progress. Far from done, but... I had to take it outside last night (had a cold front come through with lots of fog). LOTS of fun.