Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Which side do you wear your saber on?

I remember someone had a leg holster for their saber...I can't remember who. I think it was Jedi Ranger...

I thought that was a really really cool idea. I still like having my saber on my belt in robes, but if I were ever to armor up my outfit, I think I'd like to try a holster.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Ok, that's it... I'd like to:

A) See video clips of "y'all drawin' yer weh-puns"
    B) See y'all do some dueling AFTER said "draws".

It's true you want to "look cool" while drawing, but I think it's more important what you look like while dueling, hehehe. If we all even want to call it that.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by gundamaniac View Post
    I remember someone had a leg holster for their saber...I can't remember who. I think it was Jedi Ranger...

I thought that was a really really cool idea. I still like having my saber on my belt in robes, but if I were ever to armor up my outfit, I think I'd like to try a holster.
    Yup - that's me!
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

I have three covertech clips on my belt, one on the left, one on the right, and one towards the rear of my right hip.
    The last one i have actually fixed the clip so its always "unlocked"
    difficult to describe but a combination of filling and glueing the top tabs down. makes for a much quicker draw.
    "Life, for a limited time only"

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Ok, that's it... I'd like to:

A) See video clips of "y'all drawin' yer weh-puns"
    B) See y'all do some dueling AFTER said "draws".

It's true you want to "look cool" while drawing, but I think it's more important what you look like while dueling, hehehe. If we all even want to call it that.

At the risk of offending someone, precisely how is one supposed to 'draw' one's lightsaber? This is a mythical weapon we speak of, after all. Is there canon that bespeaks the proper brandishing of one's saber? Even with all of the literature and entertainment created from/for the Star Wars universe, I hardly think anyone can say for sure that no one - in all the eons of force use in that galaxy far, far away - ever had a lightsaber in a hip-holster, in a shoulder rig, or even dangling from their extra-galactic sporran.

So, if folks are getting all martial-artsy about the proper way to wield one's mythical laser sword, I humbly feel that's a tad high-handed. This coming from someone who wears their lightsaber on the right side from a belt, and is right-handed.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

Jedi in the movies usually have them to their left as to draw across them bodies. That is probably as close to cannon as it gets. I think you should do what is comfortable or whichever your "good side" is if it is for photos. As a p

hmm i think you took novas comment wrong swordlord

nova is one of the most fun loving / fun inspiring people here, have you watched his bday party vids?? he was just playing with us and pointing out that you had better be able to back up your fancy draw with some nice swordplay or you would be dead in a second anyways, doesnt matter if youre the fastest gun in the west, or the best trick twirler, if you cant aim worth shiat then youre dead, I believe that is what nova was trying to remind us of, no one here is telling anyone how they must do it, just sharing ideas and opinions, personally I wear mine on the right and try to force summon it like yoda, I still have yet to successfully summon it, afk practicing more

I <3 Mako

Actually...he was more referencing the fact that since lightsabers are fictional weapons...it's sort of silly to refine a lightsaber "draw". After all, no matter how cool your draw is, you're going to have to attach a blade and tighten the retention screw before you can actually start fighting (or in my case, pointlessly waving around a cool glowy stick thing). There's no draw-to-instant-ignite in the real world =(.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Quote Originally Posted by gundamaniac View Post
    Actually...he was more referencing the fact that since lightsabers are fictional weapons...it's sort of silly to refine a lightsaber "draw". After all, no matter how cool your draw is, you're going to have to attach a blade and tighten the retention screw before you can actually start fighting (or in my case, pointlessly waving around a cool glowy stick thing). There's no draw-to-instant-ignite in the real world =(.
    Indeed. At their best, the lightsabers we build are works of art that can be used to choreograph what we've seen, read or personally imagine how a lightsaber duel or 'battle' would appear.

The middle ground is that when built sturdily and well, we can use the lightsabers in some of the same ways we'd use bokken, shinai or wasters (with the proper safety equipment -- see Novastar's post above). Lightsabers are of course more 'flashy' (pun intended) than those three.

At worst, someone could conceivably use them as an instrument of blunt trauma (though I'd hope not ).

Making a challenge about 'draw and spar/fight' is rather ... well ... ludicrous without the benefit of special effects.
    Last edited by Swordlord; 02-17-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I am left handed and I wear my saber on my left side. I can also fight with my right hand too. It is just easier for me to release it with either hand on my left side.