Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which side do you wear your saber on?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Which side do you wear your saber on?

Which side do you wear your saber on, and how do you draw it?

Just curious what the rest of you do. I can't decide which side is better for me.

I have the covertec clip, and I find that it is awkward to reach with one hand to squeeze the clips while trying to draw the saber with the other hand. No matter which way I do it, I either have a poor grip on the hilt and have to readjust before I turn it on, or my clip squeezing hand gets in the way. It would be nice to draw it in one quick, smooth motion, but no matter what, it just seems clumsy to me.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

I am right handed, and usually wear it on my left side. And I agree, getting it out can he a hassle, and you can't do it and have it look fluid.

An idea I just thought of, would it be possible, if worn on your strong handed side, to somehow grab it and work the clip at the same time? I am sitting here moving my hands to see if I can do it, but I am in a hotel and don't have the clip in front of me.

If it works the way I think it should, you would initailly remove the hilt upside down, but if you could work a half spin into it, it would make a nice draw.

Toil awhile ... endure awhile ... believe always ... and never turn back.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Hey, that's not bad! I just tried it, and I think I can make that work.

If you sweep your hand back so that the saber is pointing behind you, your thumb and index finger are in a pretty good position to squeeze the tabs. With some practice, you could probably do it pretty smoothly.

In my next saber, I was planning to put the activation button either in the pommel, or at the bottom end. If I plan it right, I could squeeze, draw, and activate in one smooth movement.

You just have to do some cool move to bring the blade in front.

Thanks!

Well, I'm a leftie & have no problem grabbing it off the covertec, but then my clip is like 3" from the pommel & at the 3'o'clock position from my switch.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I wear my saber on the left. I cross draw with my right hand, with the thumb and middle fingers pushing the buttons, the index finger wrapping around the hilt.

It just takes some practice to learn to draw your saber smoothly with one hand.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks for the tips.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm just a klutz.

I'll keep practicing.

i think they wore the saber on the left side for the most part, i dont recall any right side wearers, right off hand in the movies.

i am right handed, but all my sabers are on the left side.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I'm a lefty, and I wear the saber on my left side. I also draw with my left hand.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

The lightsaber is worn on the left side because jedi were supposed to be like samurai and the katana and wakizashi were always on the left side (their were no left handed swordmen, even if they were born favoring their left)

I could have sworn Luke wore his on his right side. In ESB, it sure looks like he draws his weapon from the right with his right hand.