Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: drilling into pommel

Default drilling into pommel

I'm going to dril into my pommel style 3 to put a d-ring onto it. All i need is a standard power drill and appropriate bit size right? No special drill bits? I'm nervous about drilling myself
    The Sith must remain as thus, hidden, unseen and unheard of... we must remain like a shadow in the dark.

You can pick up a tap and bit set here, or get one from your local hardware store, as long as the bit is the right size for your tap, they can tell you what you need if you are unsure.
    But basicly if you have steady hands and true eyes you can use a power drill, thats what i do hehe.

Are you attaching a d-ring TO the pommel, or THROUGH one of the "cubes"?

If it's THROUGH one of the cubes, it will be quite a bit more difficult, but still doable.

Need more info.

i figured i would drill in between one of the two raised pieces on the pommel
    The Sith must remain as thus, hidden, unseen and unheard of... we must remain like a shadow in the dark.

That would require some very carefull drilling and iam not sure if theres gonna be enought cube to make it look right.

ugghh, then i need advice from all you saber builders. Check out my saber in the MHS thread, you'll see it. I need a clip, convertec or d-ring... but i dont know where and i am so nervous about drilling and where i would put it

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Personally, I like the covertec system, but after looking at your saber, I don't know where you could put it. You could cut off a piece of one of the grips, and put it there, but I think it would be a bad idea.

You could put it further down on the smooth part of the black section, but I think the screw would interfere with the threads inside.

I think your next best bet is a D-ring.

I have a pommel #3, and I used it to make a couple of quick pictures for you. (Pardon the crude drawing. )

If you wanted to drill through sideways like the picture above, the cubes are too thin.

If I were you, I would get the 3/4" D-ring and put it on the flat of one of the cubes. You could drill and tap it for a screw, but in this case, I think it would be easier to just use a pop rivet.

Hope that helps.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Looking at your saber again, I think the D-ring might possibly fit between the grips. Just make sure you drill your hole beyond the threads for the pommel.

If that were my saber, I'd put a covertec right between one of the rear grips, wherever you think would be the most comfortable spot for one to have the saber hanging from a belt. Don't worry about drilling and tapping for the screw, it's very easy to do.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I've not actually worn a saber held on by either method so I don't have a practical perference, however I DO like the "old skool" nature of a D ring over a covertec clip. Very OT.