Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lowes hilt durability

Default Lowes hilt durability

I was wondering if anyone has built up a hilt per Tim's tutorial and done any serious dualing with it? I have been building one when I haven't been on here and it seems pretty darn solid. I have some of the kits coming and I have no doubt about them but I have the feeling that I am going to be using the Lowes Special for a while untill I get my MHS LED in.

I have one under construction, it is for a youngling and I am sure that it will get a workout so I will let you know how it goes. I did change the design and I am using a 1.25" tube instead of a 1.5" tube. I am sanding the plastic adapter to fit in the larger end of the sink tube, and I will drill and tap the blade holder to attach it to the tube, it should be plenty strong.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Excellent. I think that so long as there are no major problems my younglings will be presented with their EL Sabers tomorrow afternoon and I hope to have my Lowes Special done as well so that we can break them in proper.[]

That is a fantastic idea, I may have to try that next time.

I built my EL saber before I found this site (unfortunetly), but my immediate test of it's strength was going outside at night and beating it up against a tree. If it was going to break, I wanted it to do it then, but it held strong. Still works great to this day, although, I think my friend and I are the only ones with EL saber blades that screw into the hilts. Don't know if that really makes it stronger or not, but I haven't really heard of anyone else doing it, so it must not make that much of a difference.

OK update #1: I have completed two out of four sabers for the younglings with the 1 1/4" pipe kits and they are SWEET!!! I am still working on the all Lowes special for myself as well as finishing the kids' sabers. We went out for a quick dual before bedtime and my son lit up like a lightsaber when I fired up that yellow blade for him and said don't hold back! My youngest received her purple one and swung it around a little bit before running off yelling PURPLE! (Since she's 2 I still have time to get her focused)[] Anyway here's my question: Do any of you have a trick for keeping the endcap on while dualing? I pulled the prongs out pretty far but a good smack just knocked them right off.

Tim, thanks again your stuff is just downright awsome.

She is just a little camera shy[]

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

could this be the next princess leia? haha cute as button []

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

It drove her nuts that i was taking pictures of her lightsaber without her so I'm a big sucker.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

James,

I think the only good option would be to order some machined end caps. Those push on ones just never seem to stay especially if your batterys are flopping around.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That's what I was thinking too. I had my son's battery packed with bubble wrap and I inset 2 rubber washers inside between the battery and cap, it was a solid fit and there was as little movement as possible. He would get really wound up and come at me with side slash like he was trying to hit the ball out of the park and almost everytime I blocked it that cap would pop off. Look's like I will have to start planning my next order.[]

A quick solution would be to place a piece of clear tape across the bottom of the cap and secure it to the the hilt. This way it will be easy to change batteries. Or you put the cap in place and drill two holes into the side of the hilt close to the end and into the fingers of the cap then epoxy some nuts to the fingers of the cap and then just secure the end cap with the bolts when the epoxy is all dry.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...