Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's PVC Hilts - Full tutorial on last page

I used a plumbing pipe cutter, not a Dremel.

Also, Fenderbender, the paint I used doesn't require priming....just clean the pvc with paint thinner and allow it to dry before painting. That's all the prep that was involved, and i haven't the paint wear off of any of these to badly....and I built these over a year ago.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, I could probably get away with not priming them, but old habits die hard. I always prime everything before I paint.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

thanx
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Here's how I painted these:
    I find it works best to hang the hilt from a piece of coat hanger or wire of some sort, like this:

They were just hung from a bungee strap and hooked in the hole for the blade retention bolt insert. I srayed each hilt with one light even coat to start. Allow 5-10 minutes drying time between coats. I applied approximately 5 coats of paint to each hilt, and allowed them to dry for about a day before finisheing the assembly. In this picture here, you can see the brand and type of paint I used:

It features a "hammered finish" when dry. It actually uses a condition called "fisheye" to to achieve the look.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 11-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

to quote Borat...."Very nice."

did you have any problems with the layers of paint filling or gunking up the grooves that you set?
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mortis View Post
    to quote Borat...."Very nice."

did you have any problems with the layers of paint filling or gunking up the grooves that you set?
    nope!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Actually, I do happen to have a picture:

I find it sometimes helps out when doing something for the first time to have a picture to use as a guide.
    so did you use one of the electronic kits for this? and what blade did you use? also is that setup a 1 watt amperage?
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

That is a Luxeon I led, a micro puck driver, and a 2-AAA battery holder. That is not a kit from the store, as Tim doesn't sell the Lux I led's. I got the led and the micropuck from ledsupply.com, but you can also order those from luxeonstar.com. The blade I made myself....it was a 24" thin-walled polycarbonate combination film blade that I call Dual-Core Diffusion.

so the battery pack i can get at radio shack and the blades i can buy on here im sure so would i need 1" blade if my pvc is 1"? also i can get the switch at radio shack and then could you get the LED and micropucker at radio shack?
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Jay-gonn have you ever considered using aluminium duct tape on the straight sabers. it would give them a nice shine
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)