Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's PVC Hilts - Full tutorial on last page

Quote Originally Posted by duncan29793 View Post
    thanks, this will be a bit of trial and error I am sure. I will be looking for parts this week and see what I can come up with.

Being a 3 yr old, he isn't too destructive, but loves to swing a sword around. would the 3/4' be too brittle?

Also, aside from the blade, would I pretty much be able to find all the electronics at the local Radio Shack or are there some specifics that I would have to get from TCSS?
    You're not likely to find the LEDs that are needed to really light up the blade at Radio Shack. Personally I'd recommend a Lux III star, maybe even a kit to simplify matters. Under $19, and you have the whole kit you need including the optics to focus the light up the blade and an optic holder.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bu...cs-Kit-P6.aspx

I also recommend the 1.25" blade holder. This will give you a heat sink for the LED and a nice solid blade holder for the blade to go into.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12...der--P269.aspx

Then you can use whatever tubes you want. I'm building sabers for my niece and nephew using these parts, and they're great.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

thanks for the info Sunrider.

I think I will stick pretty closely to Jay's pvc saber for my first one. This will be for my 3 yr old so simple and inexpensive is a good thing. Makes making mistakes a little less frusterating.

As for the kit, that is a great way of getting everything together, but I believe Jay mentioned earlier in the thread that the 4-AAA won't fit and that he used 2-AAA, and that it is possible to use 2 2-AAA wired together.

My saber will be the second attempt and with that one I think moving up to sink tube adapters will be a good transition in difficulty and options. It will also be longer and wider so more fun/options with electronics

That sounds like a solid plan Duncan. PVC is a great material for all kinds of projects. You're kid's friends are going to be so jealous.

If you have other questions, just make a topic so we don't clutter up Jay-Gon's thread too much.
    Last edited by Donnovan Sunrider; 09-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

thanks.

yes I was just thinking about that. Sorry to thread jack you Jay.

I don't mind someone digging up this old thread and asking questions! Ask away! That's how one learns new things!

To answer though:
    3/4" polycarbonate it plenty sturdy...I've 3/4" blades on some of my own sabers due to design restrictions on the emitters. I've never had one break.

With him being three years old, I'd stick with the Luxeon I just in case he ever knocks the blade tip loose and looks into the led. The Lux I will cause eye damage, and the Lux III could cause significant eye damage, especially at such a young age. The Luxeon III will also require a heatsink, which you can get here, but that will take up extra space in the hilt.

I used two AAA's or two AA's in the ones I built because of the space issue, but also because the micro puck driver is a boost puck, which means it converts extra current into voltage to exceed the forward voltage of the led, while also maintaining a constant current, maximizing the brightness and effeciency. It also has a maximum input voltage of 3 volts when wired like I did to use in these pvc sabers.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 01-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

How far should the blade be set into the hilt to be safely secured? And also once in, at what distance from the end of the blade should the set screw be?

I can just see my son swing his saber only to have the blade go flying out and smashing into the window or something that would no doubt lead to me getting a good beating by my wife.

I was putting the blade in about 2 inches from the emitter edge and the retention bolt about halfway in between.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I made one of these for my nephew, and I used some 5 minute epoxy and glued the blade in. I had visions of him pulling the blade out and flash blinding his sisters. If you're giving this to a 3 year old, I suggest you do the same.

thanks Obi-Dar. I have thought about that. My son will only be using it with supervision at first. I was thinking about putting in a button or set screw so he can't get the blade out himself. This may not be 100% at keeping the blade in (hence supervision). But when the blade is out I thought about using the Safety Plug http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...plug-P239.aspx

I do like the idea of having the blade permanently fixed but that will mean he can't have it hooked to his belt when circumstances require it (school costume party).

Jay-Gon, is the hilt to the emitter one piece or is the emmiter a seperate piece with the coupler holding the hilt and emitter together? Just wondering because it looks like it will be a bit of a struggle to get the switch in
    Last edited by duncan29793; 09-16-2008 at 11:10 AM.

so im thinking of doing a PVC hilt just a hilt for display. i like prop building type of stuff and whant to make some display hilts. would this be a good option? also does the paint make the hilt feel sticky?
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!