Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's PVC Hilts - Full tutorial on last page

Default Jay-gon's PVC Hilts - Full tutorial on last page

Here's what I've got done so far:

Right now I've got parts to complete 4 of these, so I do need to order some more led's and may get some micropucks when I get the leds. My intention with the ones I'm planning on keeping is to have those at the photo booths when I'm out trooping with the 501st and Rebel Legions for kids and adults to use as props, instead of $150+ metal sabers.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

very nice.

would be great for getting younger kids into this hobby.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, PVC is great for just making a simple saber. I did one like this a bit ago:

This weekend I'll be making one that is the same except a coupler instead of the rubber cap at the bottom.

One thing I also did that I liked was I used a forstner bit to make switch holes just like the MHS ones. First I drill a small pilot, drill the large hole part way through then finally drill the smaller through hole.

BTW those couplers make a wicked resonance chamber if you put sound in one. It makes a Hasbro louder than an MR.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Wow, Padwan sabers by the bucket load! Nice work.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

As coincidence would have it I posted a thread on a few hours ago HERE on pretty much exactly the same topic!

1) Jay, have you just dirlled and tapped straight through the PVC?
    2) Do you know what differences/similarities there are between PVC and ABS?
    3) What LEDs are you using in there and have you had any problems with the heat deforming the plastic? If not, what level of heatsinking are you using?
    4) How have you mounted the LEDs inside?
    5) do the two sizes of tube that you're using just fit over each other perfectly of have you filled out the space between then with anything?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! Cheers, B.

Donīt underestimate the power... Of PVC.

I like to work with it, adding details and metal parts here and there... Very nice Jay-gon

This is all stuff i'm looking into for my niece's saber!!! Please keep us updated on how to safely secure the heatsink/led in PVC pipe!

I haven't a clue!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Well, to start, I'm using Luxeon 1 stars as the leds. I am basing the construction style off the two Ultrasaber's Initiates I have. The blade retention screw isn't drilled and tapped into the pvc, I used a threaded wood insert that I picked up from the hardware store and also at Menard's. The inserts are screwed into a hole in the pvc with a hex wrench and then the 8-32 socket head screw screws into that to secure the blade.

What you see in the above pics is how far I've gotten. None are finished yet, I don't even have one lit up ! (Waiting on the 10 switches I ordered from the store!) I'm planning on going without a driver for now, as the 1-watt stars really only need about 3 volts to light up (especially the red and amber's). If it looks like they're not bright enough, I'll be getting some micropuck drivers to install in them. Heat shouldn't be an issue as Ultra sells these things with no heatsink at all.

I still need to make the blades, too. I'll be using the Corbin/cellophane combo in these ones, too. I might even try sanding the inside of one of them.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Bumparoo...

Here's what I completed today:

Polywashers, black paint, 45 degree elbow, coupler, chrome endcap, etc...

Pretty spiffy!
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Nice! I like the washers on the emitter end. I'm still waiting on the micropucks and blades to arrive before I go any further with mine.