Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wiring a puck!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Do-Clo
    I bet the battery pack gets really hot when you turn the saber off. What you have is a dead short when you turn the switch on.

What you need to do is remove the switch wire from the ground side wire of your battery (Black wire) then cut the positive side wire (red wire) and solder one side of your switch to one red wire and the other side of your switch to the other red wire.
    This!

Your switch is creating a circuit where the positive and negative are going together. That = short and a lot of heat.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

DANG!

No wonder things get hot.

Yeah, just for future reference - a switch goes on one leg of a circuit ONLY. Rewire it like Do-Clo says to, and things will work much better and your batteries won't get hot and get damaged.

so based on what i am seeing here, then something like this would be correct?

Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

thanks much! tonight shall be the night...
    Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

update-- i went ahead and rewired everything based on the suggestions everyone made and sure enough it works like a dream. no battery overheating, and the blade is brighter than ever!!!

all is well and my first saber project is complete. thanks again guys.

Miyamoto Musashi

I just wanted to add to this thread that I used the controls leads and my LED worked great. Is there some disadvantage to using the control leads?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

use of the control leads can lead to flickering, as well as the LED not turnnig off correctly.

Thanks, I will re-solder it. I want it to work the most efficient as possible.