Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Optic Cable

Youngling

If the fibreoptic doesn't offer much boost in brightness over the polyp in a thick-walled blade I'll probably steer clear. this is all moot until I have some spare cash to get bits to start converting from EL to LED anyway. Thanks for your help and info sussing it out a bit better.

As for the lightwhips - I saw some pics of a mean looking double whip done with orange EL wire - it looked like it would burn and electrocute you. The EL wire was wrapped round soem other stuff, so more of an electro whip than a light whip, which the fibreoptic would maybe suit better.

From design and brightness point of view, I imagine that a longer handle would seem more normal for a whip or flail, so perhaps potential for a beefier LED as well with more battery room?

Has anyone made a fibreoptic one yet?

Oh and Ghostbat - is that burning man as in the big festival/gathering/event in Nevada at the end of August? Something I'd love to get to if I ever find myself in the States.
    Last edited by Sethski; 01-04-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethski View Post
    Oh and Ghostbat - is that burning man as in the big festival/gathering/event in Nevada at the end of August? Something I'd love to get to if I ever find myself in the States.
    That's the one, two years ago this crazy man brought a truckload of toy lightsabers up and handed them out for a huge saber fight, about 6 or 7 thousand people, it's what ignited my interest in custom sabers, the need to have something cool to bring next time

Next time (last year) he was even crazier and armed about 15,000 people, mortgaged his home to give away all those cheap little sabers!

It was way too much fun to be allowed!

Mortgaged his home??? Holy bantha tracks batman...!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Queensland, Australia, but I'm originaly from Illinois, US

A friend and I have a saber blade plan that basicaly intails a bright led, the Light Injector Lens, with fiber optic cable wraped around a thin dowl of air craft grade aluminium all stuffed inside a poly-c pipe.

Any thoughts on that? Should I perhaps use some sort of reflective something inside the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Iria View Post
    A friend and I have a saber blade plan that basicaly intails a bright led, the Light Injector Lens, with fiber optic cable wraped around a thin dowl of air craft grade aluminium all stuffed inside a poly-c pipe.

Any thoughts on that? Should I perhaps use some sort of reflective something inside the pipe?
    My thought is that it will not work that way. Fibre optic cables have a minimal radius when it comes to turning around a rod. Most cable will simply break inside by that diameter you plan.
    Also light can excape because of the small turnings and you will never reach a even blade.

also you'll run into the same problems that LED ladder style blades run into with that, mainly that the cable is fragile and strikes could make it's integrity fail, I'm not entirely sure that you can even get side emitting FO cable in a size small enough to do what you propose either.

Queensland, Australia, but I'm originaly from Illinois, US

Quote Originally Posted by Agash View Post
    My thought is that it will not work that way. Fibre optic cables have a minimal radius when it comes to turning around a rod. Most cable will simply break inside by that diameter you plan.
    Also light can escape because of the small turnings and you will never reach a even blade.
    Ha, that's brilliant. I knew it was fragile and I wasn't even thinking about it. Slipped right through my mind. Thank you. Honestly, it would just be easier for me to just do an LED lit blade, but my friend was quite insistent.

Also you'll run into the same problems that LED ladder style blades run into with that, mainly that the cable is fragile and strikes could make it's integrity fail, I'm not entirely sure that you can even get side emitting FO cable in a size small enough to do what you propose either.
    Also, a really good point. I have not ever actually worked with fiber optic cable before so this is pretty helpful to know, thank you very much.

And one can never have enough extra stuff laying around the house to play with, including extra fiber optic cable.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iria View Post
    Ha, that's brilliant. I knew it was fragile and I wasn't even thinking about it. Slipped right through my mind. Thank you. Honestly, it would just be easier for me to just do an LED lit blade, but my friend was quite insistent.

Also, a really good point. I have not ever actually worked with fiber optic cable before so this is pretty helpful to know, thank you very much.

And one can never have enough extra stuff laying around the house to play with, including extra fiber optic cable.
    Not to mention the sheer weight of the thing if you could actually build it. It would be SOO heavy compared to a regular blade. I don't think it would offer any advantages anyway.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Fiber optic cable is less susceptible to breakage than other types of cable, including cat 5 and coaxial cable.

Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 03-06-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, that post was semi informational.

But I don't really think it warranted bringing up a thread that's over 2 years old when there are newer threads about the same type of subject.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!