Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: using enamel on hilt?

Default using enamel on hilt?

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding plasti dip for the ribbed extension of my hilt that i expect to be arriving any day now. I want it black. Has anyone tried using enamel instead? If so, how does it come out? Does it chip? and what brand did you use? Thanks. I don't want to send away for plasti dip and pay double just to have it shipped here. Wouldnt it be great if they sold it in the store??!!!
    Thanks
    The Sith must remain as thus, hidden, unseen and unheard of... we must remain like a shadow in the dark.

Default Re: using enamel on hilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultionis
    Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding plasti dip for the ribbed extension of my hilt that i expect to be arriving any day now. I want it black. Has anyone tried using enamel instead? If so, how does it come out? Does it chip? and what brand did you use? Thanks. I don't want to send away for plasti dip and pay double just to have it shipped here. Wouldnt it be great if they sold it in the store??!!!
    Thanks
    I use appliance epoxy paint. It takes a long time to dry, but once it does, it's extremely durable. You can find it in hardware stores. Not much in the way of color - black, white, off-white, but the stuff works great.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I hadn't thought about plasti dip. wouldn't that change its size considerably?
    I've read several posts of folks using model paint satisfactorily.

I'm thinking about trying either Aluminum Black, or maybe even gun blueing.
    Any thoughts?

what does the epoxy paint feel like? rubber like or metal like?
    The Sith must remain as thus, hidden, unseen and unheard of... we must remain like a shadow in the dark.

what does the epoxy paint feel like? rubber like or metal like?
    Metal. Very shiny, very smooth metal.

I used testors enamel in the ridges on my ancient lightsaber which they all got painted over, but anyways it has not chipped. Similar to epoxy paint it takes a long time to dry but when dry its harder than a rock.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

jonitus, sounds awesome. Can you recall the brand so I know that I'm picking up one i know will work?

jonitus, sounds awesome. Can you recall the brand so I know that I'm picking up one i know will work?
    Rustoleum. White can with a bunch of green on it and pictures of kitchen appliances on the front.

Takes a LONG time to dry, so be patient. Also prone to runs and drips, so multiple thin coats is preferable to heavy coats. Be sure to thoroughly clean the parts before you paint with something like isopropyl alcohol.

great. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    Rustoleum. White can with a bunch of green on it and pictures of kitchen appliances on the front.

Takes a LONG time to dry, so be patient. Also prone to runs and drips, so multiple thin coats is preferable to heavy coats. Be sure to thoroughly clean the parts before you paint with something like isopropyl alcohol.
    How long is long (just to get an idea of scale!)? Hours, days, weeks?

I have a tendancy to get excited and try to rush such things. I need to take a more Zen approach!