Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 D-cell Maglite

Default 4 D-cell Maglite

Hi everyone....new here. I had a question.

I bought a 4 D-cell maglite the other day and was wondering how difficult it would be to use the handle for an LED saber?

I was going to gut the switch out of it and light parts and try to adapt the LED kit to it.

Anyone done this?

Also...I looked at the LED tutorial and was wondering how is the actual polyc blade held on to make it duel capable?

Thanks
    John

The polyC tube is held in place via the blade holders that Strydur sells (well, when they come back in stock, anyway), and the blades are tightened in place via a thumbscrew.

As for your maglite, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but we'd need measurements to be certain. For instance, length, outer diameter, and inner diameter, would be a good place to start.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! []

Welcome to the Forum![]

I've heard of people using a maglite for the hilt (look on the misc. topics under post your sabers here and you'll find one with a white led a and green and purple filters). I looked into it and the maglite combined with the mhs (modular hilt system) kit is perfect if you get the right size maglite. The blade emitter (as it is called by all us SW geeks) holds the blade pretty tightly on the mhs so you really only need to tap and thread a screw hole for one of Tim's thumb screws and then you're set! I've already dueled with my sabers (couldn't wait to start even without the electronics in them) and I can't believe how strong they are. I practice Iado and Kendo and these babies are sweet!

Read elsewhere in the posts, get to know some of the guys and welcome![]

oh and I just remembered something... some of the hasbro lightsabers hook up with the two C cell combo and such, could we wire up a lightsaber with Tim's led's to do the same? I saw a sweet lightsaber for sale on Ebay that did.[]

Thanks for the info guys....

I practice MJER Iaido myself. Did a bit of Kendo with the son until I got a stress fracture on my left foot from all the pushing of for a men cut. Now I stick with Aikido, Iaido and Jyodo.

Thanks again
    John

Welcome Melek. I am currently working on a flashlight based hilt, but not a MagLite. I am havving trouble fitting the emitter, so i'm sanding, and sanding, and sanding.....[B)]
    Anyway, I'll post pictures once(and IF) i'm done.

Mur-Pa,
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mur-Pa DiLos
    oh and I just remembered something... some of the hasbro lightsabers hook up with the two C cell combo and such, could we wire up a lightsaber with Tim's led's to do the same? <font color="red"> I saw a sweet lightsaber for sale on Ebay </font id="red"> that did.[]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the compliment! That was my baby. There is one limitation to using C cells. You can do red or amber, but if you want any other color , you need to go with 3 cells. Red/Amber have a forward voltage of 2.95, so the 3 volts from 2 C cells barely cut it. Blue/Aqua/Green/Royal Blue/White have a forward voltage of 3.9 Volts, so you need the 4.5 volts from 3 C cells

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

How come every time I compliment a saber it ends up being yours! j/k lol[][] That was sweet did you just use 1 1/2" copper pipe for the inside? Nice job on the sales.

Pat

The copper is 1 1/4, the steel on the outside(electrical conduit) is 1 1/2. You may recognize the electrical conduit couplings too. Cutting that stuff was a bitch though. I went through 6 reinforced wheels - the toughest kind they make for the Dremmel. As they were cutting I could see the wheels shrink in diameter.

For those wondering what the heck we're talking about:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

I have a 4-D cell mag light and am currently in the middle of converting it to an LED. They're actually pretty easy to convert.

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

To GeluKhanGharr-
    I was nosing around in the forums and ran across your saber on ebay. I have only one comment-SWEET!!!! That is a very imaginative design- if I may ask, how do you get the coring effect?
    I'm planning to build a saber when I get my tax return this year, and I've been burning up the internet looking for original designs-not copies of SW sabers, and yours really got the creative juices flowing.
    This forum has been quite a Godsend for me. Hope y'all don't mind my dropping in and asking a stupid question or two from time to time........

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...p?TOPIC_ID=205

and

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...p?TOPIC_ID=273

Read both of those. Gelu uses a type of clear film. What type of film we (and Gelu) don't really know, but the second thread there is vadeblade's attempt at replicating it with clear mylar.

If you are really interested in it I'd say find as many clear reflective films as you can and try them or look at corbin's film (www.corbinscomponents.com)

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>