Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st Hilt Construction

Default 1st Hilt Construction

Hi! I'm new here. My housemate's friend had a MR FX saber that he upgraded and my housemate was raving about it so much I had to go look it up myself. Soon enough, I found this website (amongst others) and forum and decided to take the plunge into designing and constructing my first LED lightsaber. I did read up on this as much as possible, but I'm still at a loss of how to get from here to a finished saber. I've designed a hilt, now besides some online machine shops (i.e. emachineshop.com), who would be able to provide some sort of machining service?

this is the Custom Saber shop for a reason, Tim a.k.a. Strydur runs this store, and the forum attatched to it. You should ask him about any custom work you want done. Shoot him a pm, and as long as he is not out of town he will get back to you quickly. You might also remember that is is rude to ask about where to get machining done elsewhere when the store owner does that sort of thing. Roughly akin to asking the lowe's people if that have that same part over at home depot.
    FSM What's on your belt?

I didn't realize he did machine work, pardon my ignorance.

most people who find the forum through an internet search won't necessarily find the store this forum belongs too, so it's a common error.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I always wondered about that... Tim DOES have links to the store, via clicking on the TCSS logo in the upper left corner...

Although, hey, I guess he could put a message "Click on logo to purchase saber building materials!" or whatever... but overall... I think 90% of those who post... uh--know about the shop.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Well me personally I was buying from the shop well before the Forums existed, but personally the giant big font black "Enter the Custom Saber Shop" is pretty hard to miss. On the bright side I was telling an Ace Hardware Employee about the CSS while picking up supplies for my many Home Repair Projects, he seemed really interested in LightSaber Construction so who knows.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I knew he had materials but I didn't know about machining custom parts for individuals. I thought he just did the MHS and sold LEDs and the like.

Well, i'm sure he can do a fair amount of custom stuff dependant on how busy he is/ price etc.

Why not see if you can make it out of MHS parts if possible to cut down on the expense? Then if you need just one bit done custom, i'm sure it'd be better for you too time/ pricewise too!

He'd probably still be quicker than Randomsabers & co who make it totally from scratch.
    Plus, it's more satisfying if you assemble it yourself!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Random isent taking anymore orders for a long-o-time-o.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Well, here's my design (extremely rough drawing... was originally to scale but then started to get lazy).

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5818/img0002qe2.jpg

As far as I have seen, I haven't seen angled grooves or even know if they are possible without being really pricey (haven't got a quote back from Tim, and doesn't look like I'll get one for a few days), and I haven't seen diamond knurling unless the tube was taken from a maglite or something, again not knowing if it's pricey as hell or not. If it is too high, I'll have to cut back my design to fit my budget more.

Personally, I want to do it myself but i have neither the means nor the time.