Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vortex II review with Video clip

Council Member
    Sith Warrior

Default Vortex II review with Video clip

This post is for the members here that aren't on the Sith Lord Detachment boards, OR The Sith Training Temple boards, to share some information, to help any interested in building a better Vader!
    I posted here, and Not in the Vader Thread, because it could be lost in there, to those who may have an interest

That being said, Some early thoughts on this amazing device.

I've been experimenting quite a bit with this, and first off was greatly disappointed that
    it did not work well with my current PA system.

I've been trying a great many hardware combinations (speakers, Mics, etc) and it doesn't
    get along with a good number of speakers I did try with it.
    problem being sensitivity, and loads of feedback. I have got it to work very well with
    almost every kind of powered computer speaker, and right now I have it dialed into a really
    accurate ANH vader sound.
    It has seven programable pitch settings, for people with all different kinds of voice ranges.

The presence is astounding, and friends that have stopped by, said they close their'
    eyes, and can't tell if it's the movie, or me.

I am working with a breathing sound clip, (trying to make it longer, Thanks BLack_Death_DV on the SLD boards) to
    put on my iPod, to input the breathing into the board, since it has two inputs, one
    for your mic, which the board runs the effects on, and the other channel is output
    clean for breathing sound fx.
    It also has a PTT button (included) that pulls double duty, it allows you the option to
    "push to talk", which cuts off the breathing sound fx channel until you release the button.
    AND it also plugs into the programming jack, so you can enable, or disable the boards many
    features.

Ok, I didn't have anything to record audio only, so I got this idea to do a video clip at 2 O'clock in the morning, and just ran with it.

Please bare in mind this is by far NOT professional quality, didn't want to spend a day doing it, so it's a little hurried, and obviously unscripted.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...RTEXIIClip.flv

I hope everyone likes it, and maybe this will give alot of aspiring Vaders here confidence in buying one, given the hefty price tag of $399.00 +S&H

Darth Raizzar SL/TK6312
    501st Legion Midwest Garrison

got to see it finally, the first voice shot was dead on pal. i thought it was a recording, it was that darn good.

i dont think mine has the compression pot adjustment tho. i think thats what the micro switch on the cable was for, it just allows you to change pitch, saber sounds, and shut on and off the breathing.

i will look at it again, but i think the V1's dont have that.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Council Member
    Sith Warrior

Thanks buddy!

The version II's have that micro switch too, and a programming jack, you can use it to speak or cut off the breathing too.

The version II's don't have the saber, and whatever other sound effects the V I's have, But, from what I understand, there's more attention to the voice feature in this one.
    A great deal of the strength of this device, is the person's ability to adapt the same speech characteristics, my friends all say I can nail the JEJ voice, but they say this just slam dunks it for Vader

I am damn happy I listened to what you had to say about yours.
    Getting the bonus from work for being there 20 years helped me get it, and the rest of the upgrades done.
    My LA suit is paid for, so I hope they can get it to me before the 5th, I have three trooping days for the StarWars exhibit, and they're all daytime gigs! -including Opening Day!!!!

Darth Raizzar SL/TK6312

Hey there Raiz... Lan... looks pretty cool!

I have to admit... I'm amazed at how much architecture is being used to change the voice real-time... then again, I don't really know much about electronics at the technical level.

JEJ *is* pretty hard to emulate though...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

yeah, im thinkin since the new board he had to use, he had to reconfigure stuff, to what would work, and the V2 is apparently more adjustable on the voice setup.

i will look at mine again, but im pretty sure there wasnt any pot adjust like the V2 has.

i do pretty good with the 2nd setting from startup, if i can just remember not to talk loud, and keep my voice volume low, the unit works pretty good, but if i forget, and talk louder in more my natural voice, it of course changes the end results.

im workin on it, i got 3 weeks til the con, so i got 3 weeks to practise up.

i may just run through all the tones again, in my normal voice, see what gives, and then try all of them again in a low volume, low tone voice, and see which sounds best.

i got a feeling where ive been running it at, is where it will end up stayin.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    TK-6208

Council Member
    Sith Warrior

Thanks Novastar

it is truely amazing that someone actually sat down to do this, and got it done!
    Hyperdyne must be a true fan, because this was a labor of love, you can tell.
    I've just built the enclosure for it, and the batteries, and I got some requests to do different Vader lines from the movies, so I'll be making a part two, -maybe as early as next week.

And as always, it's always fun talkin' shop with my Sith Brother!

Darth Raizzar SL/TK6312

i sent Jim a email to ask something on mine. i shouldnt have to hold that microswitch now that im using stereo speakers again, but i do just like i had to to go to mono mode for the PA amps. so i asked if there was a reset i had to hit, theres 2 small white microswitches near the jack mounted on board for cabled microswitch, one has writing on the board sayin reset.

im not touchin nuttin till he gets back to me, i wouldnt want to hit that and wipe the board memory or anything.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    TK-6208

Ive been told I can do a pritty good JEJ voice. But yeah it is pritty diffacult to do.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Sith Warrior

the reset returns everything to "factory default" just the way you got it.

Darth Raizzar SL/TK6312

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

very awsome man!!

BLUE 3- Ready