Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone try Fence posts instead of sink tubes?

I have collected a few tubes from vacuum cleaners. A couple are anodized aluminum, a couple are chromed steel. 1.25" and 1.5" segments on the same tube. Thin-walled. Sometimes there are attachments/rings made of hard black plastic that could be used for clamps, emitter shrouds and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lars
    I have collected a few tubes from vacuum cleaners. A couple are anodized aluminum, a couple are chromed steel. 1.25" and 1.5" segments on the same tube. Thin-walled. Sometimes there are attachments/rings made of hard black plastic that could be used for clamps, emitter shrouds and such.
    Thatīs an idea I play with, too... Too bad they wouldnīt allow me to dismantle our vacuum cleaner here at home xD

Outdoor fence posts are made from galvanized steel, and if you sand off the galvanized coating it'll be rusty in 2 weeks, even if kept indoors.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Well, I haven't tried fence posts due to wieght and/or like Jay said, they're galvanized.

Have had much more success with vacuum parts & even store display fixtures.
    So many stores are getting re-fitted in pretty much every town centre in the world, and some fixtures use 1-1.5" tubing which we all known is the ideal diameter for a saber, and usually chromed steel or similar.

Just check out the dumpster outside any store getting re-fitted!
    Some mannequin/clothing racks have real snazzy clamps & screws that are great for the finishing touches to a saber!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Oh yeah... galvanized steel does rust super easy without the coating. But it actually takes like 2 days if it has any sort of moisture (sweaty hands).

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu-kenjutsushi

Yeah I've thought about that. Would Lowes or Home Depot have like a block of it or something?
    They might. Even nuts or big washers would work. Just try and get as much weight into the pommel as you can.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Ok, I'll have to go look. Thanx!

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

True. The weight of the steel would definitely be nice- even without the battle blade in it, since lightsabers are high-tech weapons. You'd figure they'd be made of some strong metal, and the heaviness would add to the illusion.

However, the rust would be a problem

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Yeah I have 3 designs I have drawn and decided to go with the one with the least amount of parts. It has some major sink pipe designing though which I know may not be a smart way to go; but then again, sink pipes aren't too expensive...and I'll learn more this way (be it the hard way).

For my fourth design I'm planning to go a super long hilt like 20" with a 30" blade. That way I can spin it like a staff or a short spear.