Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Fence posts instead of sink tubes?

Default Anyone try Fence posts instead of sink tubes?

I was wondering if anyone has tried using fence posts to build their hilt. I'm talking about the metal, cylindrical ones that hold up wire fences. They're not shiny like chrome but maybe if they're sanded down and polished they may look decent. Also, they come long so they can be used for more than one hilt.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

most of the fence posts i've seen are like 4 inches in diameter, little big for my hands.

Really? They have some ranging from 1" - 2". I saw some that were 1 3/8" and another one that was somewhere close to 1.5"

BTW this is at Home Depot.

If the post has the right OD and ID, why not? My twisted mind tries to transform every metal or plastic tube it sees into a hilt I have an old TV aerial antenna post that once became a candidate, but it was all rusted on the inside, so I put it aside... Till next time xD

Council Member
    Sith Lord

most fence posts are really heavy gauge steel. way heavier than is needed for sabers at least.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I'm sure the weight could be dealt with regarding balancing, but... how the heck would you drill/work with it?

You'd need a freakin' skill saw with diamond-tipped saw teeth in the blade... heheheh
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

True, I don't know how you'd drill thru it. But I think (for me anyway), that the extra weight would be good 'cause my MHS hilt is way to light when it has a TCSS battle blade in it. I would think that if the hilt were heavier than the blade, it would bve easier to swing around.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

Council Member
    Sith Lord

if your MHS doesn't have sound, then get a heavy metal like lead and put it in the pommel to counter-balance the blade.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

The weight really isn't heavy at all... well that's when it's still bare. And it's probably about an 1/8" thick. You'd be able to thread it but I still don't know if it would be able to attach to MHS pieces.

I just don't know what it looks like underneath its dirty surface. I think I'm gonna go take some of Home Depot's stocked sand paper and just try sanding a bit of it down.

What about these aluminum tubes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-Inch-Aluminu...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    if your MHS doesn't have sound, then get a heavy metal like lead and put it in the pommel to counter-balance the blade.
    Yeah I've thought about that. Would Lowes or Home Depot have like a block of it or something?

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>