Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who likes organic looking sabers?

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin_Das

Corbin
    OOOOOOOHHHHH........ Thomas' saber! I love it!
    But then, I love alot of his work!
    (BTW, he is the template for Ganner Krieg, the imperial knight in the legacy comics!)
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I like the organic styles, but mainly in the sense that the saber is very "busy" looking, yet easy to handle.

Mainly, I think etching of patterns/lines/lettering and varying highlight & shadow could achieve similar looks with sink tube pipes (or MHS), but not create a bunch of peaks and valleys that prohibit certain electronics, or cause it to be harder to manipulate for stage fighting/whatever.

Very nice though Corbin... I remember you showing me some of these back in the BOP I days...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I got to see and hold Thomas' saber at D*C in '03. He wanted to meet me because he wanted to show me the EL set he did for that saber.

And he was one of the people I really wanted to meet when I went.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

What ive always thought about doing is having a very simple metal hilt with everything in it and then doing a resin cast over it to make it look organic. Have the metal hilt be like 1 1/4 so its not huge when it has the cast over it.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I'm torn. I like some, but not all. the protosaber, dark woman's all look good, but some others look like "oops, it messed up, i'll say it's organic"

i really like these designs. my favorite is the fourth from the left. i also really like the hooked emitters on the other designs there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hmm... these to me are more sculpted than "organic". Organic makes me think of a saber made out of a tree branch or rock...

The concept seems like a Naboo saber. Makes sense because lucas wanted an art nouveua influence on Theed.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I like these. I had thought about doing something like this on my first saber, with black inlay under a carved out sink tube, but I chickened out and decided to keep it simple.

I'd love to see something like this come to life.

Those designs look vaguely LOTR Elf-like. I like em'.

I have to agree with xwing. Your designs look great but seem more sculpted than organic. While flowy curves and such are generally equated with "organic" when it comes to lightsabers, having curvy cutouts on a level plane make it look like an artsy elegant saber.

Yet when I think organic, I don't necessarily just think saber made out of bone or a treebranch or something. the Dark Woman's saber looks very organic to me. I think it's more of a matter of the hilt itself having some curvy-ness to it, as opposed to having curvy designs on a tube.

And I personally think whether or not I like organic sabers depends on the individual saber. I have to agree with the whole table-leg idea. Too ornate and curvy and it might end up looking like a piece of furniture. Organics seem to be a much harder style to tackle than PT, OT, and ancient-tech style sabers.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!