Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hasid's wood saber

Hasid
    If that center section is wood, you might want to consider how you intend on attaching it to the rest of the saber. I imagine having the brass piece plug down into the wood would be the best. I'm not realy sure how strong it will be though. I assume it would be hollow to allow for electronics. That would weaken it even more.
    Have you considered a wood laminate? It wouldn't be as nice as real wood, but they make some pretty nice sheets of self adhesive laminates that have wood like grain and patterns. You'd have a seam on it though where the two edges meet.
    Take a 1.25" sink tube and wrap the wood laminate over it. This would be your center section. You could then use a 1.5" sink tube adapter on the front and rear of the 1.25" sink tube. I know that sounds wrong, but the INTERIOR of the 1.5" sink tube adapter will fit a 1.25" sink tube. You can then screw in the blade holder, which I imagine you'd have to get custom machined or at least altered.
    I'm not sure about having the parts made in brass, though I know there are places that can brass plate things for you. I have a section of aluminum fluted tubing that was brass plated.

My solution for your design isn't perfect, but it's something to think about.

Corbin

We prolly shouldent talk much in the gallery threads but yes that idea has crossed my mind, But I was also thinking of how an Iam gonna setup a chassie system I had thought of.

I unscrew the pommel and slide the chassis out, the cahssie will be attached to the pommel but the chassis free spins in the pommel. also the pommel has to act as a place for the recharge port and sound vents.

Iam litterly | | that close to scraping the idea.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Yeah, you're right. Less talk, more pics.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, I split the posts...

Please, if you want comments, create a seperate thread in the gallery section dedicated to that saber.

Soliciting responses via a question is bad... even old members forget the gallery threads should remain comment free.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I think that it would make a nice display piece if you make it a solid hilt, half metal half wood. I have had experience with wood turning on lathes before so go with a harder wood like maple, or walnut to give it a darker look. What you could do is use a metal lathe and just put the center wood piece, once rounded off with a wood lathe, in a metal lathe. The you can hollow it out to have electronics in there. you can always thread it, and although it wouldnt be as sturdy as an MHS saber, meaning the threads can easily break, you can always use loctite thread lock and pour a little bit in to make it permanently, well not permanently, attached on.

Just my .02
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Like this ?

This one has one of Erv's first v1's in there so theres enough room to fit a v2.x too. The main section is a 1.25" tube that runs through the wooden grip, the pommel which contains the speaker fastens to one end and the emmitter to the other. The recharge port is actually located near the switch (on the side you cant see) but I could have fit that in the pommel too, it was just easier to do this way and makes access to the SD card easier.

Its about 1" longer than Id like at 13.5" but its very well balanced with a blade in.
    Phil Higgins

yea just like that, I was going to find the picture but i couldnt really find it haha.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

cool wood accent, Neophyl

I remember you posting that earlier, but wasn't sure how you attached everything together. The 1.25" tubing just plugs into the machined sections on each end? Is it a press fit or is it held in with screws, glue, etc?

Corbin

The pommel is held on with the screw that also attaches the covertec.

The emmitter end is a pretty tight fit as I machined it that way but you dont take chances with it, theres alot of leverage when swinging a blade around so it has a couple of grub screws in there. They perform 3 jobs, they hold the emmitter in place but they also stop the brass section from twisting around and hold the switch bracket too.

Where possible I like to use fasteners for more than one job.
    Phil Higgins