Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: d-ring holder

Ok, here are a few pics of my saber I'm working on. Don't everyone laugh at once I'm still a Padawan and this thing may blow up in my face upon activation. ...Enjoy!
    Tiberius

if anyone laughs, screw 'em. that is a pretty good replica if you ask me. is it all "hardware"? i am working on one like that now, but i am gonna use a real bubble strip. construction on it has been dealyed though, due to lack of funds []

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

My original intent was to build this one dirt cheap so my wife would not put me out in the cold for spending money on this. Basically this is just tin flashing wrapped around a cardboard tube then riveted together in a straight line along the seem. (Not shown) The bottom is a drain plug cut and epxied in place and the D-Ring is a picture hook. Inside the tube toward the bottom, I put in a 3/4" female threaded PVC coupling.

My blade is a 1", 36"long Poly tube that I spray painted Blue with Transparent Model Paint. Actually does a really nice job and is tough as nails once it cures good. The Saber end will have (I'm still working on this part) a male fitting that will screw into the inner coupling. I also found that WalMart now sells a little 3-LED replacement for converting a standard minimaglight over to LED. I'm going to mount this in the end and figure out a simple on/off switch. So when I finish, it should have light but no sound.

That's my next version & I can't wait!!! I'll be looking to Tim for several of his components and help for my next revision.

Tiberius

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

What is the end cap with holes?

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Just a $1.28 drain cover/filter from WalMart. I used Tin snips to cut it to size andglued in place using liquid metal bondo.

Tiberius

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Is it pretty thick?

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

No, the metal of the drain plug is maybe .030" thk. The card board tube I used actually had a little plastic cap in the end. I filled it in with the liquid metal epoxy then just pressed the drain cover on to it. I used rubber bands to hold it in place until it dried and cured. Seems to be holding very tight so far.