Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D renderings of all parts for CAD

Council Member
    Jedi Master

my wife's suggestion was to use Flash.
    but like Atomsk points out, at the rate new parts are coming out (and i'mNOT complaining about that) it would be a job to keep updated.

It wouldn't be all that hard to keep updated if you go about putting the parts into a database instead of chaining together links of images. Add a new entry to the database, and your selection is a query behind the scenes that calls up the right parts.

I agree that Flash seems the easiest way to do it, and Flash can render things pretty nicely.

I just got the word from xwing that my .dwg works just fine in autocad after all, so if any of you use this or any other software that can read .dwg files, send me an email and I'll send you a copy.

yes if someone could make a database for it and code up a nice backend it'd be pretty easy to update.. way beyond my ability im afraid.

i agree flash is probably the way to go.. now that im thinking it through, it wouldnt be too hard really. the only thing that really throws a wrench into the gears are the claw parts.. everything else is really 'modular'.. one end fits into another.. but the claws fit over the other components, and then we have the problem of having to provide images for multiple combinations of outcomes..

im interested to hear what people come up with

I don't know beans about programming or software, but what about the possibility of creating a small downloadable program that can be used to view and move the pre-drawn parts in 3D? It wouldn't be quite as convenient as a flash program right on the website, but since so many of us are repeat customers I don't think it will really matter all that much. Does anyone here have any experience in designing software?

That being said... I sure hope someone is able to make a configuration setup file program for Erv's board, hehehe...

If I was a programmer, I'd do it. I'm only good with pseudo-code, and my programming experience stopped WAAAAY back in '95 with C++. heheheh
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Master

in one of those cases of I know a guy, who knows a guy...

A friend of my wife's is a flash guru. I'll see what it would take for him to set something up.

I updated the file to include O-rings, thumbscrews, covertech knobs, the yet unreleased neck piece, an improved drawing of the vader shroud, and a clamp from another well known saber parts company.

On how to show the claws on the MHS builder...
    I have absolutely NO idea how this would be set about, I just have the end result in mind:
    You put up a basic piece.
    Right click on it, and you have a list of options, using the ribbed section as an example:

Add O-rings
    Add Anodizing
    Add Claw style 1
    Add Claw style 2
    Add Anodized Claw style 1
    Add Anodized Claw style 2

(yeah, I know, looking to the future a bit here)
    The claws then appear on the selected piece, and from there you can click and drag them to the position you want.
    Like I said, I have NO idea how this would be set about, but I do know that when working with photoshop, layers are used and a layer that is on top can have parts of it made transparent.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Do you have these pieces in 2d as well? I only have Autocad Light
    Lord Cyric ~ Consumed by the darkness within ~