Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I want to build a complete saber but i'm quite confused.

My soldering iron slipped once and tipped my finger for a split second. Still burned a small bit but didn't really hurt that bad. Still safety is a must when you're building/modding or repairing a saber. As far as color change goes you'll never have the same brightness as a colored LED if you use a white filtered LED instead. Never saw much use for that but if you like it and want to use it go for it. As far as sound boards go I would recommend an ultrasound or an erv. If you want sound changability go for an erv crystal focus. They can change their sounds out if you have more than one font. Everything you would need for it is on erv's site such as sound fonts. The ultraboards are also another good choice. They can't change their sounds like a crystal focus but they're a good board in the under $100 dollar market (or so I've heard, never been able to get one to see for myself.) The ultras have blaster deflection and some good sounds on them. Don't know if any of this helps you but I hope it does. Anyways I hope your saber works good and how you want it to.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Onto the blade, i'd like to get a blue one. What would I need? I see that there are 3 types. Like stated before, if I can duel i'd like to. And i'd like it to do the extendy thing so it looks like it goes up and goes down.

EDIT: And what would I want my length to be? FWIW, i'm 5'7".

Everyone will have a different opinion about blade length, but I ask my customers to give me their body measurement from the middle of their palm to the top of their ear. That's how long I make their blade. I've found it works well to get a length you can spin around easily.

I am 6'0" and take a blade that is 37" long

There's some thread around here somewhere about this. Everyone likes a different length (and it differs for blade thickness), but one thing that needs to happen is a decent balancing.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    Everyone will have a different opinion about blade length, but I ask my customers to give me their body measurement from the middle of their palm to the top of their ear. That's how long I make their blade. I've found it works well to get a length you can spin around easily.
    I have to try that.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petary791
    Onto the blade, i'd like to get a blue one. What would I need? I see that there are 3 types. Like stated before, if I can duel i'd like to. And i'd like it to do the extendy thing so it looks like it goes up and goes down.
    You realize the blade itself's not colored , it's the LED that does that, right? Some people who were used to EL blades in the past actually had different blades for for changing the color. :P

If you want it to look like the blade extends and retracts, you will need a Corbin style blade and one of the drivers for that.

"They feature a special double wrapped film diffuser that gives the optical illusion of a central "core" within the blade. When combined with our Driver board, this blade will appear to extend and retract when turned on or off."

Whether you plan on dueling with or just wanting it to look nice at conventions or parties or whatever, will determine the blade thickness you should get. Just look at the descriptions of the blades in the store.

Some people get a battle blade, (I just use one of the TCSS style blades for that), and a show blade (mine has the Corbin film in it).
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Petary791
    You realize the blade itself's not colored , it's the LED that does that, right? Some people who were used to EL blades in the past actually had different blades for for changing the color. :P

If you want it to look like the blade extends and retracts, you will need a Corbin style blade and one of the drivers for that.

"They feature a special double wrapped film diffuser that gives the optical illusion of a central "core" within the blade. When combined with our Driver board, this blade will appear to extend and retract when turned on or off."

Whether you plan on dueling with or just wanting it to look nice at conventions or parties or whatever, will determine the blade thickness you should get. Just look at the descriptions of the blades in the store.

Some people get a battle blade, (I just use one of the TCSS style blades for that), and a show blade (mine has the Corbin film in it).
    Yep, I realize that it's the LED that matters. So it seems like i'll get a Corbin blade.

This is what it looks like i'm going to be getting so far.
    3W Amber LED
    Driver Board
    5 Degree Lens
    Hilt Style 3
    Emitter Style 4
    Pommel Style 4
    MPS Insert Style 1
    MPS Clip
    Corbin Battle Blade

What am I missing to make a complete saber?

Not much except for mabey a retention screw unless you already have something to keep the blade from flying off or rattling while you duel. As far as blade length goes you'll have to play around with that to find a good length. Something that helped me is this. Use a yard stick, grip it at various lengths and see what length works best for you. See what measurement you can spin and use your blade best with. Don't know if that would work for you or not but it works good for me when I need to determine a length I need.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Alright well here's the update.

3W Amber LED
    Driver Board
    5 Degree Lens
    Hilt Style 3
    Emitter Style 4
    Pommel Style 4
    MPS Insert Style 1
    MPS Clip
    Corbin Battle Blade
    Retention Screw
    Machined Button
    Covertec Clip
    8-32 Socket Head Screw
    Thumb Screw of Sorts? What kind of screw would I need?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

This is a thumb screw.

They are on the Screws page, strangely enough.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/c-8-screws.aspx

I prefer the 10/32 screws to the 8/32 screws. They get a bigger "bite" on the blade (more surface area pressing against it).

Guess you changed your mind about a blue blade, huh?

You might want to go ahead and install a Quick Connector while you're at it, they are only 45 cents.

Or you could always go back and put one in.

But if you do it now, you won't have to take the saber apart again. Then you just put one on the next LED you get, to change blade colors. I always install the male end inside the hilt, and the female ends on the LEDs.

You will either need to drill and tap the hole in your blade holder for the thumb screw or add that service to your order. If you do it yourself, you will need the proper sized drill bit and tap set for whatever screw you get.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!